Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 66 Combat Magnum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I just assume that current production S&W and Ruger revolvers are almost-ready-to-shoot revolver kits, and are shipped fully assembled as a reliable method of ensuring all the parts are included. Both companies routinely ship things that should never have made it out the door.

Very strongly agree with the smoothness vs. spring weight comments, though. A fully slicked up revolver really doesn't need lighter springs unless you're trying to beat Jerry.
    The funny thing is Jerry M shoots full power springs as guns with lighter springs reset too slowly.

I had a new M66. I really liked that the flat on the barrel under the forcing cone was not there, and I also liked the revised crane lock. But my particular sample needed an very heavy for factory weight mainspring to be reliable, even with an extended length cylinder and slide firing pin, and of course, it had the lock.

Given the cost of the new 66s, I would absolutely wait for an older pre lock version to show up if I had to do it again.

Picked this up yesterday. Trigger get good out of the box. Added Sile grips and installed a Wilson Combat kit. Won't get to the range until next weekend, but I like it so far.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_1312.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  77.7 KB
    Last edited by Crusader8207; 01-12-2019 at 11:37 PM.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I just assume that current production S&W and Ruger revolvers are almost-ready-to-shoot revolver kits, and are shipped fully assembled as a reliable method of ensuring all the parts are included. Both companies routinely ship things that should never have made it out the door.

Very strongly agree with the smoothness vs. spring weight comments, though. A fully slicked up revolver really doesn't need lighter springs unless you're trying to beat Jerry.
    A smoothed up fully reliable action with a 12 pound DA is a world of difference between that same smoothed up fully reliable action with an 8 pound DA. I might not want to beat Jerry but I’ll surely take his tips/advice on how to shoot my revolvers faster and more accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    Picked this up yesterday. Trigger get good out of the box. Added Sile grips and installed a Wilson Combat kit. Won't get to the range until next weekend, but I like it so far.

Oh, very nice! You aren’t helping the gravitational pull for me! Full length rod. Happy extracting and ejecting!

BTW - Let’s see a pic of the right side? It will help everyone, (especially some folks), if we just don’t see the lock and can pretend it never happened.
    Last edited by medmo; 01-13-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    I had a new M66. I really liked that the flat on the barrel under the forcing cone was not there, and I also liked the revised crane lock. But my particular sample needed an very heavy for factory weight mainspring to be reliable, even with an extended length cylinder and slide firing pin, and of course, it had the lock.

Given the cost of the new 66s, I would absolutely wait for an older pre lock version to show up if I had to do it again.
    Did you have light primer strikes or mis-fires?
    Last edited by medmo; 01-13-2019 at 12:02 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post

Tell us more about those Sile grips. I'm liking their J frame option, and I've seen the K frame grips around. I have stayed away so far because finger grooves. Can you compare to, say, a Presentation?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The funny thing is Jerry M shoots full power springs as guns with lighter springs reset too slowly.
    Maybe I need to watch the video again. I remember him recommending keeping the rebound slide spring stock for fast reset, but using his light hammer springs for competition guns, even going as far as sticking with Federal primers for ignition reliability with a light hammer spring. For duty or other serious use, of course, he recommends keeping springs stock.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not sure where you heard that. He sells what he recommends:

https://miculek.com/product/miculek-...t-k-l-n-frame/

Even with a stock action Jerry would smoke any other human being speed and accuracy-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Did you have light primer strikes or mis-fires?
    I tried replacing the factory mainspring with a standard weight power rib spring, and got lots of misfires. It was reliable with the factory mainspring, but the DA pull was heavier than I prefer. The C&S firing pin and power rib spring made it reliable with Federal primers only, but the gun was going to potentially be used for defensive shooting, so that was a non-starter.
    Last edited by Scal; 01-13-2019 at 01:10 AM.

User Tag List