Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: S&W Model 66 Combat Magnum

I know it sounds very, almost, Russian of me to propose, but I gave up a few years ago trying to get my revolver triggers uniformly smooth/lighter than stock.

Not only did I have issues like you’re having, I had issues with varying brands of ammo...some worked and some didn’t. To that end, I took it upon my self to improve the weakest link in any revolver/shooter interface, and that’s the man in the mirror.

I don’t specifically do any hand strengthening exercises, like the CAPTAINS OF CRUSH, but I DO exercises where my hand/forearm strength come into play. Couple that with my day job, wrenching teeth out of people’s skulls, and I’ve yet to meet a trigger that I couldn’t work through the pull on, and the, “smoothness,” comes after wearing in the parts through dry-practice and live-fire. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate your insight. I am finding as I dry practice more with the revolver, it is becoming less of an issue. I probably have over 500 dry practice trigger pulls and it is soothing out nicely. Stock is working for me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I know it sounds very, almost, Russian of me to propose, but I gave up a few years ago trying to get my revolver triggers uniformly smooth/lighter than stock.

Not only did I have issues like you’re having, I had issues with varying brands of ammo...some worked and some didn’t. To that end, I took it upon my self to improve the weakest link in any revolver/shooter interface, and that’s the man in the mirror.

I don’t specifically do any hand strengthening exercises, like the CAPTAINS OF CRUSH, but I DO exercises where my hand/forearm strength come into play. Couple that with my day job, wrenching teeth out of people’s skulls, and I’ve yet to meet a trigger that I couldn’t work through the pull on, and the, “smoothness,” comes after wearing in the parts through dry-practice and live-fire. YMMV.

www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post

I do COC also and it sure helps. I can take a much stronger grip without shaking.

I still like a smooth DA trigger of no more than 10 lbs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Port View Post
    I’m ok with drift. If anyone wants to talk about how and/or why they carry a k frame, that would be cool too.
    Talking about the new m66-8 with 2 3/4" barrels I have to say they handle perfectly for me. I'll get one eventually.

I really like carrying my k frames in my JM custom aiwb holster for EDC or my Elpasso saddlery Threepersons for woods use. I also have a Ryan Grizzle horsehide iwb for times I feel like carrying at 4 o'clock.

A 4" m19 is back as my edc now that it's fixed. I keep my right pocket empty except for 1-2 speed loaders.

I do have a m64 for backup
    Name:  1533958836628475688062-636776.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  39.2 KB
    Name:  KIMG0899.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  69.8 KBName:  KIMG0940.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  23.4 KBName:  KIMG1069.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  34.5 KBName:  KIMG0835.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  84.4 KB

And my wife's m67 and holster
    Name:  KIMG0749.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  31.2 KB
    Name:  KIMG0744.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  46.9 KB

Thanks @03RN - great pics/handguns. It seems that I might be a little less patient about getting a 66 than you are at this point. But that might have more to do with the fact that I don’t have a wheel gun in my collection anymore. And that’s just not right!

I have to admit that i’ve been playing with the notion that I might get a 63 first to practice with, all this ammo is sending me to the poor house . A nice .22 to practice trigger control with might be just what the doctor ordered. Man! 4 cents a round...

I know they sell k-frame .22s, which would better simulate the 66, but it just seems wrong to me. A .22 in my mind should be small.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Port View Post
    Thanks @03RN - great pics/handguns. It seems that I might be a little less patient about getting a 66 than you are at this point. But that might have more to do with the fact that I don’t have a wheel gun in my collection anymore. And that’s just not right!

I have to admit that i’ve been playing with the notion that I might get a 63 first to practice with, all this ammo is sending me to the poor house . A nice .22 to practice trigger control with might be just what the doctor ordered. Man! 4 cents a round...

I know they sell k-frame .22s, which would better simulate the 66, but it just seems wrong to me. A .22 in my mind should be small.
    None of mine are: Ruger MKII & Single Six, and S&W M18. That 18 is sweet. Try one out, you’ll like it.

Site Supporter
    @Port I think you’ll find the K frames in .22 have better triggers than the smaller J frames.

User Tag List