Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 66 Combat Magnum

S&W Model 66 Combat Magnum

Anyone have one of these things? They are so purdy... I find myself wanting one! I’d carry it every now and again. Not too often, but I’d shoot it at the range a lot. How’s the accuracy? Fun enough for a range gun?

I know the 4” would be more accurate, it’s just no where near as appealing to me.

Name:  D5DCFC0D-2ED1-43BA-B56A-3C81E91787D9.jpeg
Views: 1503
Size:  22.3 KB
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-combat-magnum

Someone sell me in or out of this thing. Please. I’m obsessing lol.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I have an ‘80s version.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I have an ‘80s version.
    Do you like it? Good pinker? Do you carry it?

I have the ported one from the Performance Center, along with its Model 67 twin.

They are an enormous amount of fun. I already have several friends standing in line, waiting to bump me off so they can inherit both of them.

Site Supporter
    I also have one from 1993.

Here's a very informative article on the 2.75" M66: https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/review-sw-model-66/

3" K-frames are fun shooters; with what S&W is asking for one of these new 66's, you could watch and wait for awhile and get a used one for nearly the same money (but likely not on auction sites). I paid $700 out the door for this 3" M66-2 last year. I adjusted the rear sight to the left just after taking this picture

They're fun to shoot with 38's and 38+P rounds; full-house .357 with 125gr JHP's is exciting and muzzle flash/blast is appreciable, I prefer to run 180gr bullets in .357 Magnum rounds in all barrel lengths, but especially in the 3" length because I find the muzzle blast to be less annoying than with light bullet loads.

If you buy a new M66, I recommend you do so only after handling one in person. S&W's current quality control can be variable.
    Last edited by oregon45; 01-12-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Port View Post
    I'll second scrounging for an older one. I refurbished a department issue 66-1 from the '70s and it's kind of a BBQ gun to me. Fun to play with, accurate enough and can shoot magnums on occasion if I want. On the rare occasion I carry it, it's loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135 +P .38 Specials. I rarely carry it because I have a 9 Shield that has more payload on board in a lighter, easier to conceal package. If you want a .357 get the 3" barrel as a minimum. Reloads with a short extractor rod is a long drawn out affair if on the clock. The 3" gets you the full length rod and is mucho better.

Edit: I shot this stage clean but you can see what I mean about reloading. Especially in the dark. These were full house 158 grain .357 loads.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 01-12-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I like it a lot. I have a 4”. It’s a bit for IWB, but it’s doable.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Anyone have one of these things? They are so purdy... I find myself wanting one! I’d carry it every now and again. Not too often, but I’d shoot it at the range a lot. How’s the accuracy? Fun enough for a range gun?

I know the 4” would be more accurate, it’s just no where near as appealing to me.

Name:  D5DCFC0D-2ED1-43BA-B56A-3C81E91787D9.jpeg
Views: 1503
Size:  22.3 KB
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-combat-magnum

Someone sell me in or out of this thing. Please. I’m obsessing lol.
    I’ve been feeling a strong pull toward the current production 2.75” bbl-ed with a full length ejector rod. I’m the wrong guy to sell you out of it.

Chris Baker from LG did an excellent review:

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/review-sw-model-66/

I have a 19-3, 2.5” bbl that is slick, sweet and accurate. I can’t see myself taking that one out, dragging it through the mud, sweating on it, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    I’ve been feeling a strong pull toward the current production 2.75” bbl-ed with a full length ejector rod. I’m the wrong guy to sell you out of it.

Chris Baker from LG did an excellent review:

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/review-sw-model-66/

I have a 19-3, 2.5” bbl that is slick, sweet and accurate. I can’t see myself taking that one out, dragging it through the mud, sweating on it, etc.
    Ever since my buddy brought his S&W out to the range the other week, the pull is strong for me too. Of course the trigger on his had been worked on already... but what a thing of beauty.

User Tag List