Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grip video

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    So what is the bottom line: back front grip pressure is better than side to side?

Randy
    I think the answer depends on who you speak with and when you speak with them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don't think it's an all or nothing type proposal. There are obviously going to be elements of both. I think we're guilty of jumping headlong into some of these rabbit holes thinking they're going to be an end all.

In my mind, this slides into the same mechanic as "getting more behind the gun", as in having the roots of both thumbs filling the space at the edge of the backstrap. I've noticed that having some push/pull component makes that feel a bit more solid/locked up and seems to cause a bit less tension in the shoulders/chest than trying to do it purely by "squeezing".

It ain't gonna fix your trigger press though.

I did some Facebook and instagram stalking of Mr. Humble Marksman. Aside from having an M card in Production, he's a relatively recent convert to Carry Optics and has some pretty interesting stuff to say. He also expounds personally a bit more on grip stuff in the post below than he did in his video. Check it...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/18979504

My gut tells me that if we had a pistol equipped with some sophisticated sensors built into it, we'd find that pressure is being applied to the gun in ways contrary to how the shooter might "feel" or "think" he's applying it.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Was thinking about this today — if you knew nothing about shooting, how would you deal with muzzle flip, knowing that stance is primary for recoil. Given how a pistol recoils, it seems logical that you would press on the sides enough to keep the gun aligned, but put most of your effort fore and aft to counter the muzzle lifting at the shot?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Was thinking about this today — if you knew nothing about shooting, how would you deal with muzzle flip, knowing that stance is primary for recoil. Given how a pistol recoils, it seems logical that you would press on the sides enough to keep the gun aligned, but put most of your effort fore and aft to counter the muzzle lifting at the shot?
    Yep. And from a moment arm perspective you’d want the pivot point as close to the barrel axis as possible, which everyone agrees with. And it would also seem the most efficient use of force to counteract recoil would be down at the bottom where your little finger is. But that kinda implies subcompacts like the G26 would be more of a problem to control recoil, and I’m not sure we see that?

I’m trained as a mechanical engineer so not clueless on the subject, but pretty far opt of my lane shooting expertise wise.

User Tag List