Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip video

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post

Less towards this topic and more in general...

I don't know how far the rejection of being more in-common than not, really takes any of us farther down the road.

If we arrive at a nuanced and robust technique through methodical exploration of the total breadth of options, that can be acquitted against a control group, and is repeatable across a range of test subjects; and then we ground all valuation in the subjective: why bother in the first place?
    With all due respect, I would guess that subjective and flexible thinking was the catalyst that started the methodical exploration that lead to the nuanced and robust techniques in the first place. The sport is always advancing due to people being unafraid to break the mold and try something new. Especially when it is as scientifically grounded as the offerings from Hwansik Kim. I was blown away to hear his theories on acceleration and stopping during explosive movement too.

Jules can you please explain in simpler words what are you trying to say here.

Respectfully...

Simong.

Hammertime
    After working this dry a bit I realized my current grip, when tight, is biased toward pinching the palms together at the bottom of the back of the grip, rather than the top. This works, but really isn’t the ideal place to be trying to control recoil.

There is a completely different kinesthetic feel when the thumb bases pinch together at the top of the grip, primarily in the deltoids and triceps as I lock in the grip topside by rotating the elbows up.

I can’t wait to try it live fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    After working this dry a bit I realized my current grip, when tight, is biased toward pinching the palms together at the bottom of the back of the grip, rather than the top. This works, but really isn’t the ideal place to be trying to control recoil.

There is a completely different kinesthetic feel when the thumb bases pinch together at the top of the grip, primarily in the deltoids and triceps as I lock in the grip topside by rotating the elbows up.

Of note, I think, is that none of the interviewed elite shooters made mention of any lateral "pinching" behavior, or "rolling the elbows up". Those all came from dude in the last few minutes of the video during his dry fire exercise.

I wonder how much fore and aft pressure, versus on the sides, might help with side deflection with the Glock especially, as well as with other pistols.

After today’s match, I hit the range back home, and did some experimenting with more fore and aft, shooting fast and slow using a tuxedo target, and I had almost zero side to side dispersion.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I wonder how much fore and aft pressure, versus on the sides, might help with side deflection with the Glock especially, as well as with other pistols.

After today’s match, I hit the range back home, and did some experimenting with more fore and aft, shooting fast and slow using a tuxedo target, and I had almost zero side to side dispersion.
    Do you notice and difference between blocky Glocks and more rounded HKs on the side to side thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Do you notice and difference between blocky Glocks and more rounded HKs on the side to side thing?
    I only shoot one platform at a time, so I am not sure since I haven’t shot a Glock since mid November. I used to be curious about those differences, but now I view that sort of thing as a distraction from pushing my skill forward with whatever platform I am focusing on.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I only shoot one platform at a time, so I am not sure since I haven’t shot a Glock since mid November. I used to be curious about those differences, but now I view that sort of thing as a distraction from pushing my skill forward with whatever platform I am focusing on.
    As luck would have it, I just needed to grab my wife’s G4 34 to change out a broken Pro, and the front to back thing feels like it would work well with a Glock. Let’s have some left impacting shooters try this and see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I really appreciated the way he compiled the thoughts on the matter from the best of the best. Also, he won me over by starting a YouTube video and not saying "Hey guys".
    or "Whatsup guys".

So what is the bottom line: back front grip pressure is better than side to side? I've always wondered how the elite shooters apply pressure. Strangely, few say if they use front to back pressure or side to side.

Randy

User Tag List