Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kel-Tec KS7

I bought one in April or May because I thought I’d take a chance at $409. If it crapped out, I’d have fun making fun of Kel-Tek. I haven’t shot it a whole lot, because, to be honest, after it made it through the first box I didn’t have much of a plan. I’d take it along with other things and run a few tubes worth through it. I let the 4-H kids shoot it one day. I passed it around when a few of us met for a shotgun day recently. So somewhere above 300, but I’m sure under 500, rounds.

The stupid thing keeps working. It gagged a couple of times when people (the kids) babied it. It needs to be operated “with authority” like other pump shotguns. I’d say it was a bit less tolerant of that than most others.

My biggest gripes are the silly sight that gives no repeatable elevation reference, and the backwards safety. The crossbolt safety works the opposite direction of any other I’ve had- push from left to right to fire. That alone is enough to keep me from taking it too serious.

Assembly after stripping is a little fiddly, with a small pivot pin that if moved slightly will come out before getting it back together, and a trip lever/bar/thing that easily gets bumped crooked upon reassembly so it binds the action. That’s just annoying little stuff. That safety is the suck.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryinIN View Post
    I bought one in April or May because I thought I’d take a chance at $409. If it crapped out, I’d have fun making fun of Kel-Tek. I haven’t shot it a whole lot, because, to be honest, after it made it through the first box I didn’t have much of a plan. I’d take it along with other things and run a few tubes worth through it. I let the 4-H kids shoot it one day. I passed it around when a few of us met for a shotgun day recently. So somewhere above 300, but I’m sure under 500, rounds.

The stupid thing keeps working. It gagged a couple of times when people (the kids) babied it. It needs to be operated “with authority” like other pump shotguns. I’d say it was a bit less tolerant of that than most others.

My biggest gripes are the silly sight that gives no repeatable elevation reference, and the backwards safety. The crossbolt safety works the opposite direction of any other I’ve had- push from left to right to fire. That alone is enough to keep me from taking it too serious.

Assembly after stripping is a little fiddly, with a small pivot pin that if moved slightly will come out before getting it back together, and a trip lever/bar/thing that easily gets bumped crooked upon reassembly so it binds the action. That’s just annoying little stuff. That safety is the suck.
    Thanks- that's enough for me to quench the lust, take a hard pass, and hoard my pennies towards a Beretta.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by BarryinIN View Post
    The crossbolt safety works the opposite direction of any other I’ve had- push from left to right to fire. That alone is enough to keep me from taking it too serious.
    Yep. Epic disqualifier right there. What were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Yep. Epic disqualifier right there. What were they thinking?
    What they always think: "Let's do something unique, even if it's a bad idea."
    In KelTec's defense, a lot of the ideas they come up with are brilliant... and then they have a High School shop class build them and render it all pointless.

User Tag List