Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec KS7

Kel-Tec KS7

Kel-Tec is releasing the new KS7 this year at SHOT, and I'm pretty excited:

-$495 MSRP vs $999 MSRP for current KSG (expected street price of ~$350-$400)
    -7+1
    -1lb lighter then KSG (~5.9lbs)
    -26.1" long - same as shockwave, only 0.7lbs heavier

The most notable feature is doing away with the dual tube of the KSG. While this cuts the shell count in half, its likely to improve reliability as shells will now feed straight into the chamber, rather then coming in at an angle. Since reliability has been the reason I've held off on the KSG, this was a welcome development from my perspective; with a more conventional feed this should be just as reliable as a regular pump shotgun (fingers crossed.) To me, the main benefit of the KSG was size, not shell capacity.

It also cuts the cost in half, making it much easier to justify snagging one for "research purposes."

"The main changes from KSG are the flared forend and the protected triangular fiber optic inside combination sight channel and carry handle. The handle and the sides of the pump are equipped with MLOK slots."

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/01/1...w-keltec-guns/

Overall I'm very excited for the KS7 - and I'm glad I held off on buying a Shockwave:

Site Supporter
    I've had terrible experience with KelTec handguns. When the maker could not fix them, that's a bad sign. Perhaps your luck will be better.
    Last edited by willie; 01-12-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I've had terrible experience with KelTec handguns. When the maker could not fix them, that's a bad sign. Perhaps your luck will be better.
    Yes, Kel-tec is America's most innovative firearms company, and also the one with the most questionable quality control.

One of the reasons I'm so excited for the KS7 though is its simplicity - mechanically, its a pretty basic, tube fed, pump action shotgun, which should hopefully bode well for its reliability.

Kel-Tec should just design the guns and then sell them to decent gun companies. Or scale way back and just make like 3 guns well. If I had any confidence in them I would have like 8 of their guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    The folks at the factory were pleasant to deal with. I know one man locally who has had trouble free shooting with his various K weapons. I regret that my ownership turned out differently. I tried hard but to no avail. The elderly school teacher in me says that if you are a young man with limited funds, then you might consider saving your money and buying the Beretta security shotgun discussed in one of the threads here. I comment without sarcasm or ill intent.

I wonder if the empty shells still eject straight down and cut your forearm? I was intrigued by the KSG for it's size when it came out, but the cost, Kel-Tec's poor reputation for robustness, and reviews where shooters' forearms were bleeding from ejected shells cooled my enthusiasm.

I would LOVE a reliable bullpup shotgun.

https://youtu.be/BVVii2K1j5k
    Last edited by 98z28; 01-12-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    I would LOVE a reliable bullpup shotgun.
    I would love a reliable semi-auto bullpup shotgun... made in Italy.... by Benelli or Beretta.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Hammertime

Kel-Tec KS7

It’s all fun and games til the VFG pump handle breaks and you shoot your hand off.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 01-12-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I would love a reliable semi-auto bullpup shotgun... made in Italy.... by Benelli or Beretta.
    Fed with box magazines.

Until then, I’m left trying to decide - buy a Gen2 1301 or a Breda B12i.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    It also cuts the cost in half, making it much easier to justify snagging one for "research purposes."
    $200 is my price ceiling for anything made by Kel-tec.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List