Thread: Sight Picture Issue: is it Me or the Sights?

Sight Picture Issue: is it Me or the Sights?

Hello Everyone,

I am currently having some issues shooting my M&P Shield 1.0 9mm, more specifically, with the sights themselves. I currently am using the Ameriglo CAP Sights; for whatever reason, I am finding myself having to utilize a "6 o'clock hold" in order to hit targets that are at elementary distances ( i.e. 3, 5, 7 yards etc.). Once I start pushing past 7 yards (especially around the 15 to 20 yard mark), my shots start going high and to the right. These sights are supposedly designed to utilize a "combat hold" (which requires covering the intended point of impact with the front sight); however, as stated before, this appears to not be the case for me!

I will be the first to admit: I am not a great pistol shooter, so this issue I may be having may be a "software" issue and not a "hardware" issue.

Any help/tips/input would be greatly appreciated.

After shooting high with the Caps when I first started using them I realized that the bar on the rear sight was a distraction for me and when I visually put the front sight square on the rear sight bar, the top of my front blade was higher than the top of my rear sight blade. I switched to an all black rear and it fixed the problem for me.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Millenial Pistolero View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am currently having some issues shooting my M&P Shield 1.0 9mm, more specifically, with the sights themselves. I currently am using the Ameriglo CAP Sights; for whatever reason, I am finding myself having to utilize a "6 o'clock hold" in order to hit targets that are at elementary distances ( i.e. 3, 5, 7 yards etc.). Once I start pushing past 7 yards (especially around the 15 to 20 yard mark), my shots start going high and to the right. These sights are supposedly designed to utilize a "combat hold" (which requires covering the intended point of impact with the front sight); however, as stated before, this appears to not be the case for me!

I will be the first to admit: I am not a great pistol shooter, so this issue I may be having may be a "software" issue and not a "hardware" issue.

Any help/tips/input would be greatly appreciated.

My Ameriglo sights are definitely set up to cover the target. You said currently. I assume you have shot that pistol with different sights just fine? If so it may be the sights. Even perhaps a combination of issues.

If not are you a left handed shooter and right eye dominant? Up and right from distance sometimes shows up in left handed cross dominant folks. That kind of stuff is pretty hard to diagnose without being there and seeing it.
    Last edited by JustOneGun; 01-12-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Similar to what ASH has discovered, I find I sometimes need to change dot location on rear sights. I happen to prefer 3 dots sights and when I modify sights I need to look from three perspectives. First I need the gun to shoot where I want when the top edges are aligned. Basic all black sight technique. But then I need to look at the dots. When the top edges are aligned, are the dots also aligned? And third, are the dots the right size? I usually have the front dot 'appear' the same or a little larger than the rear dots. Right now I am reworking the dots on my 92A1 BB pistol. They are not interchangeable. I made the front dot a bit larger using a drill bit to chamfer the hole a bit and filled it w/ yellow flourescent paint. I am building up the rear w/ some JB weld. Filing and painting later today.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am a right handed, right eye dominant shooter. I have not shot this gun with other sights before, but I did rent an M&P Shield 9mm with the stock 3 dot sights and had no issues using the top edge of the front sight to make hits.

I would black out the rear sight color and focus on equal height, equal light. Proof the gun at multiple distances and record the results. If possible have someone (ideally a good shooter) shoot it at the same distances and compare results.

Another consideration is the gun itself. There were a bunch of early 9mm M&Ps that exhibited horrid accuracy especially at distances greater than 7 to 10 yards,

What size target, what distance, POI, and group size? POI vertical stringing may vary based on sight height perception issues, but moving to the right suggests something more.
    Taking a break from social media.

Cool

Hey guys,

Just a quick update:

After doing some dry fire draws, I noticed that I have a tendency to tilt the gun slightly up in such a way that results in the front sight being misaligned with the rear sight.

it's almost like I was ignoring the purpose of the rear bar on the rear sight!. However, I am going to blackout the rear sight in order to facilitate a faster front sight acquisition.

Thanks again,

User Tag List