Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darryl visit

Darryl visit

Darryl, and his new bride, Mel, visited today. We did some gun show and tell, then hit the range for a nearly four hour session. We did about everything imaginable with a good mix of timmie, game and pure technical shooting drills. Darryl and Mel primarily shot their Langdon PX4 Compact mod 5 pistols, although they also dragged out some SA revolvers and that V3 Remington thing.

This was my first time meeting Mel, and she handled her Beretta confidently and had great trigger control. It is pretty clear that she has been exposed to the HITS doctrine, as she really owned accuracy. Particularly impressive was her going 4/5 with just one hand on an eight inch steel at 25 yards shooting my VP9-B and DP Pro. My wife had taken a fall hiking Wednesday morning, and missing a big hunk of flesh from her strong hand, did some shooting with us, but all weak hand only.

Darryl shot the mod 5 very well, and I don’t think I heard him mention the word “LEM” even once today. He and the mod 5 are joined at the hip. He shot a fair amount with my VP9-B and DP Pro, and not surprisingly remarked how the red dot is like having a full time trigger coach. Pretty tired near the end, we each fired a five shot group with the VP9 at 25 yards, and he had the smallest group of all. No pin to give him but he wanted to make sure this picture “made it on PF tonight!”

Name:  315792E4-064A-46E1-8FF3-31697E21FCCE.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  522E3459-5E38-485C-8880-8C0E26782E5B.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  43.4 KB

Here is a screenshot of when I was showing some max effort draws, with a few of the different targets we were using in the background. Note the Langdon target, which I really like.

Name:  10550ED2-8D81-4D94-BE72-F7D91E122097.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  101.5 KB

I was pretty excited to shoot the V3 Remington, but five rounds of it tweaked my right wrist a bit, and I stopped there as I have two matches this weekend. My right wrist is a bit sensitive from a 40 percent tear years ago, so I am not sure if it was me, the bird’s head grip, or something else. Seems like a brace would be a great add, as I can’t remember my wrist hurting even with Brenneke slugs out of a light 14 inch M2.

We managed to wear ourselves out, and my wife shut down the session by “taking my timer away from me,” at which point there was no more reason to shoot. I do swear we did a bunch of accuracy oriented drills, including shooting one inch squares at ten yards, and drawing to eight inch steel at 25 and 30 yards.

One last observation. After shooting the VP9 with the Pro enough to get comfortable, I handed Darryl a VP9 with a RMR at the very end. He found it WAY more difficult than the Pro to shoot well with, and reached this conclusion without any prompting for me. I really dislike shooting the RMR and frankly almost prefer iron sights to it. I sure hope Aimpoint comes through with the Acro at SHOT.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That’s a hell of a 25-yard offhand group. I guess Dagga can shoot. Who knew?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    That’s a hell of a 25-yard offhand group. I guess Dagga can shoot. Who knew?
    Someone needs to talk to him about the color fill of the roll marks on that HK though...

Take any pics of the trucks?

Interesting and fun report. Outstanding 25 yd group!
    Last edited by JHC; 01-12-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I am surprised you guys didn’t comment that his group was a bit left.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am surprised you guys didn’t comment that his group was a bit left.
    I just assumed he was purposely avoiding the bigger tape mass to the right

Good to see DB smiling.

On the hardware, I am recently finding the HK VP9, particularly the SK, quite interesting. The SK a relatively compact pistol that really “fills my hand,” impressively well, for what seems to be a very steady grasp.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I really dislike shooting the RMR and frankly almost prefer iron sights to it. I sure hope Aimpoint comes through with the Acro at SHOT.
    Sounds like a really fun time.

I came to the same conclusion a couple years back and sold off all the dot stuff without much regret now. I will be interested in cautiously dipping back into red dot world depending on Aimpoint as I am sure it would improve my shooting through trigger-brain feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Sounds like a really fun time.

I came to the same conclusion a couple years back and sold off all the dot stuff without much regret now. I will be interested in cautiously dipping back into red dot world depending on Aimpoint as I am sure it would improve my shooting through trigger-brain feedback.
    Whether you carry a red dot or not, a dot is extremely helpful in improving your iron sight shooting.

Waiting patiently for the revolver and truck pictures.

User Tag List