Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP101 32 H&R

Ruger SP101 32 H&R

I'm pretty sure I haven't posted this revolver previously, but here's a Ruger SP101 32 H&R I bought for my daughter in 2001 or so. She's working in Australia now so I have custody of it again.

I recall paying about $270 for it, then put a substantial sum into cleaning up the action, reprofiling the trigger, and having a taller front sight put on. Then I gave her strict instructions never to send it back to Ruger for work unless there was no other option at all - they'd "bring it back up to stock" in a heartbeat and all the goodness would evaporate.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_1158.jpg
Views: 2895
Size:  36.4 KB

The .32 series of cartridges are probably the best revolver chambering, IMO, and under rated. I wish .32 had stayed as the standard instead of being over-taken by .38 Special. Especially with the .327 Magnum, there's so much versatility while giving you an extra round. I think about a 3" Model 19/66 chambered in .327 Magnum and get heart palpitations....what a gun that would be, if only the industry support were there.

Nice gun!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The .32 series of cartridges are probably the best revolver chambering, IMO, and under rated. I wish .32 had stayed as the standard instead of being over-taken by .38 Special. Especially with the .327 Magnum, there's so much versatility while giving you an extra round. I think about a 3" Model 19/66 chambered in .327 Magnum and get heart palpitations....what a gun that would be, if only the industry support were there.

Nice gun!
    I concur. I’ve had a weird thing for .32 ever since I was a baby engineer and saw the press release for the .327 Federal Magnum. I went down that rabbit hole hard geeking out on .327FM and .32 H&R and curse myself for not having the funds to stack my safe with them.

As for the part bolded part . . .

I’ve been trying to convince some folks to do something like that but haven’t got much traction yet. Closest I could see in the near future would be if Ruger did a .327 LCRx 3”. The thought of getting a GP100 in 327 and having it chopped has crossed my mind as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    I concur and love my 432 as my pocket J and my SS 632 as a fun gun. If I had to carry a belt revolver (after the bans), it would be that gun.

From mild 32 Longs to 327 mags, you have a nice range of shooting options. I'm going to use the 632 in a revolver section of a class coming up.

Now you've gone and done it.

I think the new LCRs in .327, loaded with lower recoil .327 or .32 H&R Mag full charge ammo, is the ideal pocket revolver.

Maybe the upcoming rush to Ruger .327s will inspire an 8 round, 3 inch, light weight L-frame from S&W. (I don't really know if 8 would fit but what a great revolver that would be.)

The ability to also shoot 32 S&W through the 32 H&R/327 Fed guns is nice, particularly if you're limited to factory ammunition. I have shot several thousand rounds of Fiocchi 32 S&W wadcutter target ammunition and, other than being a bit dirty, it has given fine accuracy out of my Ruger Single Six 32 H&R's.
    Last edited by oregon45; 01-11-2019 at 04:38 PM.

After looking at an L-frame: change my desire to a 7 shot piece (only slightly less desirable). Eight rounds would require Tardis level technology to fit in an L frame. (ps. not really a Dr Who fan)
    Last edited by 314159; 01-11-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Nice find, Jaywalker!

I bought a new 4” .32 H&R SP101, some number of years ago, probably during the 2002-2006-ish period, when I regularly carried .357 SP101 snub-guns regularly, during personal time, as primary, secondary, and tertiary guns. The smaller, milder “Magnum” has been waiting, in the safe, to be my “old man” carry gun. Well, I am 57, with plenty of aches and pains, so “old” does not seem so far away, now. We are probably about to acquire some rural land, and a nice small centerfire sixgun might well be less-alarming to livestock in the area, so that may be another, nearer-term job for a .32 sixgun.

I bought a .32 H&R Ladysmith J-snub, for my wife, and secretly hoped that she would reject it, so I could keep it.

With all the excitement about .22 WMR in a snub-gun, I am thinking that .32 H&R (and .32 Federal Magnum) might be the better mousetrap.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    With all the excitement about .22 WMR in a snub-gun, I am thinking that .32 H&R (and .32 Federal Magnum) might be the better mousetrap.
    Ive been watching for 432PD on gunbroker for a while and haven’t seen one pop up recently (at least when I have the scratch to pick one up). The LCR is probably the logical choice but I’m already invested in S&W J-frame support equipment. D’oh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

One of my dream guns is a Smith and Wesson 16-4. I had to a chance to buy one a few years ago but I passed... they are going for 3x what i had a chance for.

User Tag List