Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Farnam Interview

Hammertime

John Farnam Interview

I really enjoyed this interview on Civilian
    Carry Radio.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...2F%3Fp%3D10660

I have not heard Farnam interviewed before. Recently I read Matterhorn and Fields of Fire so I have a whole new respect for what it means to be a Marine infantry lieutenant in Vietnam. The interview and both books are worthy of your attention.

Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War https://www.amazon.com/dp/0802145310..._VJkoCbQPB85WD

Fields of Fire: A Novel https://www.amazon.com/dp/0553583859..._2KkoCbAZVD5PZ

Farnam.
    Just FYI. John's a friend.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Farnam.
    Just FYI. John's a friend.
    Sorry. Auto corrected and I left it that way. Mods notified.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 01-11-2019 at 04:41 PM.

John was my first instructor, nearly 30 years ago and a better start on learning how to shoot/fight/behave one could not find. Vicky is also a superb instructor and her segment on how women and men learn differently during their instructor class was eye opening.

When John talks, I shut up and listen.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    John was my first instructor, nearly 30 years ago and a better start on learning how to shoot/fight/behave one could not find. Vicky is also a superb instructor and her segment on how women and men learn differently during their instructor class was eye opening.

When John talks, I shut up and listen.
    He certainly seems a gentleman. Loved the interview.

I took a 3 day, 2 night advanced training course with Farnam back in 2012.

I left before dark on day one due to no desire to get shot or see anyone else get shot. Among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I took a 3 day, 2 night advanced training course with Farnam back in 2012.

I left before dark on day one due to no desire to get shot or see anyone else get shot. Among other things.
    ^This sounds like it needs more information!

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    ^This sounds like it needs more information!

The whole thing was a shitshow. They had us running around stabbing targets with knives, doing hand to hand stuff, teaching to ride the reset, one of assistant instructors managed to miss his IWB holster and cram/wedge a hot Glock inside his waistband while running backwards. Farnams played it off. Had super green, timid shooters with pistols and carbines on a hot range, going into night? I left.

CWM11B
    I have his books, and found them to be pretty good. I attended one of his classes maybe 20 years ago. Not one I would do again, similar experience as M2CattleCo. A good friend with some serious SOCOM creds took it with me, and he had a similar opinion. John was a good enough guy, I just didn't agree with most of his declarations nor his range operations. One of the few classes I have attended where my "tool box" left without any additions.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    The whole thing was a shitshow. They had us running around stabbing targets with knives, doing hand to hand stuff, teaching to ride the reset, one of assistant instructors managed to miss his IWB holster and cram/wedge a hot Glock inside his waistband while running backwards. Farnams played it off. Had super green, timid shooters with pistols and carbines on a hot range, going into night? I left.
    Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    I have his books, and found them to be pretty good. I attended one of his classes maybe 20 years ago. Not one I would do again, similar experience as M2CattleCo. A good friend with some serious SOCOM creds took it with me, and he had a similar opinion. John was a good enough guy, I just didn't agree with most of his declarations nor his range operations. One of the few classes I have attended where my "tool box" left without any additions.
    I think these are pretty good examples of how legends from the past were legends in their days and laid the groundwork for CCW training, but that students and teachers since then have obviously taken what they've learned and advanced our techniques, tactics and procedures to a better place.

The problem is when a person/group ceases to learn and advance, instead choosing to be stuck in their ways as if it's absolute simply because of a given person/organization's legendary status earned during their hey-day.

ETA: Kind of like Grossman and how over the last 20 years he's started believing his own hyperbole as fact, and today is simply batshit fucking crazy.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-13-2019 at 07:06 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List