Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appendix carry: 34 vs 17 length holster

Appendix carry: 34 vs 17 length holster

Hi Folks,

I am new to PF. I joined here because there's some reputable folk on this page and it seems less derpy than the rest of the internet.

Question: for those who have switched from using a 17-length holster to a 34-length holster, would you care to share your experience? Does it "tuck" the grip of the gun better with that extra length? Is it still comfortable?

I currently carry my 19 in a JMCK AIWB with a Dark Star Gear mag pouch and I love this setup. However, I like to use the "high ride" holes on my JMCK, which raises everything up a bit and sometimes I get "roll-out" over the belt.

If I was tall, this would be a no brainer. At 5'7 I'm hesitant to try and pull off the extra length, but considering it anyway.

For anyone who has tried AIWB with a 34-length holster, I'd love to hear your experience/opinions (whether they be good or bad).

Name:  IMG_5456.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  68.5 KB

I have a 2.0 jmck 34 length & and a 2.5 jmck 17 length. Right now I prefer the 34 length because it points the barrel away from my flesh when I'm sitting down. Both length feels the same to me, I can wear them all day driving. But they're not comfortable like a glock42 in a dark star hitchhiker. I'm considering a glock48 in a 34 length holster for my next setup.

I don't know if it tucks the grip in better, but I do like the wedge all the way on the bottom on the 34. The wedge all the way on the bottom on the 17 has a lot of pressure on me. I use the pad on the 17 instead.
    Last edited by edison; 01-10-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    I have a 2.0 jmck 34 length & and a 2.5 jmck 17 length. Right now I prefer the 34 length because it points the barrel away from my flesh when I'm sitting down. Both length feels the same to me, I can wear them all day driving. But they're not comfortable like a glock42 in a dark star hitchhiker. I'm considering a glock48 in a 34 length holster for my next setup.

I don't know if it tucks the grip in better, but I do like the wedge all the way on the bottom on the 34. The wedge all the way on the bottom on the 17 has a lot of pressure on me. I use the pad on the 17 instead.
    Thanks Edison, this is exactly the kind of information i was wondering about. So the 34 is MORE comfortable sitting? I had assumed it would be thr opposite. Interesting.

+1 on the glock 48 though. Im waiting for Tony to make a holster for it and its game on. Hopefully it’ll have an extra length option for his g48 holster.

Quote Originally Posted by b0men View Post
    Thanks Edison, this is exactly the kind of information i was wondering about. So the 34 is MORE comfortable sitting? I had assumed it would be thr opposite. Interesting.

+1 on the glock 48 though. Im waiting for Tony to make a holster for it and its game on. Hopefully it’ll have an extra length option for his g48 holster.
    Guys, we have molds and real guns on the way for the 48 and the 43X. we can make pretty much any length you want so if you all want a 34 length holster for the 48 that's no problemo!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

I need to clarify. I prefer the 34 because it points the barrel away from my body parts, so if I were to pull the trigger, there would just be a hole in the chair. If I did the same with the 17, there'll a hole in the chair with bits of my right testicle & right thigh. So it's just a piece of mind thing.

I can't perceive if the 34 feel more or less comfortable physically, it's about the same.

You may just end up having to buy both & see which one you gravitate towards over time.

I need to clarify. I prefer the 34 because it points the barrel away from my body parts, so if I were to pull the trigger, there would just be a hole in the chair. If I did the same with the 17, there'll a hole in the chair with bits of my right testicle & right thigh. So it's just a piece of mind thing.

I can't perceive if the 34 feel more or less comfortable physically, it's about the same.

You may just end up having to buy both & see which one you gravitate towards over time.

Honestly, that alone is reason enough to go 34 length. I use the 17 now and can confirm the barrel is pointing towards the right nut when seated.

I didnt realize the 34 length would divert it but that makes sense.

Hammertime

For anyone who has tried AIWB with a 34-length holster, I'd love to hear your experience/opinions (whether they be good or bad).
    I love how a 34 length carries until I sit down and crush my right nut.

Name:  IMG_8528.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  42.8 KB

About the width of a glock mag difference. On the glock specs, the g34 is .71 inch longer.
    Maybe it'll crush your nuts like Enel, maybe it'll push your junk away like me, maybe it'll still point at your nut like your 17. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Name:  IMG_8528.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  42.8 KB

About the width of a glock mag difference. On the glock specs, the g34 is .71 inch longer.
    Maybe it'll crush your nuts like Enel, maybe it'll push your junk away like me, maybe it'll still point at your nut like your 17. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Thanks for the comparrison pic. Super helpful.

Do you carry with the holster in the high-ride position or do you just leave the clip/loops in the standard positioon they come in?

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I love how a 34 length carries until I sit down and crush my right nut.
    High ride position or regular?

User Tag List