Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripes, not Plaid.

Stripes, not Plaid.

I didn't see the gun, but I know it had been there.
    I was going through a bag of mixed range brass when I saw the characteristic stripe mark of a fluted chamber.
    But wait! It's a .40!
    I know of a few P7s around here and even a couple of privately held MP5s.
    But I have only seen a P7M10 at an out of town gun show and an MP5/40 not at all.
    But there's got to be one somewhere around.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I don't know about your local range, but I used to work at a range where we rented a .40 cal MP5. Problem was most .40 ammo was truncated (flat-nose) and wouldn't run.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Jim I don’t mean this with any disrespect but I don’t know what the F you are talking about.

May be a good topic to those who can read subliminal cryptic posts but seems like it would be better off in General discussion or on Facebook or something:

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Jim I don’t mean this with any disrespect but I don’t know what the F you are talking about.

May be a good topic to those who can read subliminal cryptic posts but seems like it would be better off in General discussion or on Facebook or something:

Sorry
    Just doing a drive by - the HK weapons that use roller delayed blowback also have fluted chambers in order to aid in extraction. They (the flutes) leave a mark on the brass - a stripe if you would.

I'm sure there are others out there, HK are ones that I'm familiar with.

I'm thinking that the OP is either talking to himself (which is more than likely since he lists a 'code name') or wants a list of 40 caliber firearms with fluted chambers.

To the OP: An MP40, as opposed to a UMP 40 would leave fluted brass.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 01-10-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I don't know about your local range, but I used to work at a range where we rented a .40 cal MP5. Problem was most .40 ammo was truncated (flat-nose) and wouldn't run.
    Now there is an interesting item.

Sorry for annoying the rest of you.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post

Sorry
    Fluted chambers, present in some HK weapons, leave characteristic stripes on spent brass. You did not know this?

The rarity, described in the original post, is that so few such weapons were chambered in .40 S&W.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-10-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Based on my experience, it wouldn't have run with anything else either.

Ours flat out refused to make it through a mag with Blazer aluminum cased ammo, which was a problem since we had like half a CONEX of it. Some bullet shapes were better than others, but we never found anything that ran particularly well with those guns.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Based on my experience, it wouldn't have run with anything else either.

Ours flat out refused to make it through a mag with Blazer aluminum cased ammo, which was a problem since we had like half a CONEX of it. Some bullet shapes were better than others, but we never found anything that ran particularly well with those guns.
    MP-5s run well with what it is designed for, brass cased FMJ or JHP with FMJ profiles. Weak ammo and Flat point / Truncated cone FMJ is hit or miss.

Aluminum cases are a well known no go with MP-5s.

There are different locking pieces for the bolt heads which are switched out based on wear or based on the power level of the ammo you are running.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    MP-5s run well with what it is designed for, brass cased FMJ or JHP with FMJ profiles. Weak ammo and Flat point / Truncated cone FMJ is hit or miss.

Aluminum cases are a well known no go with MP-5s.

There are different locking pieces for the bolt heads which are switched out based on wear or based on the power level of the ammo you are running.
    Yes. And...

I should have specified it was the MP5/40 we had trouble with. Our regular old 9mm MP5s were awesome. The .40s, not so much. Our guys tried different combinations of locking pieces and ammo and never really got them ready for prime time.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    A local LE friend of mine has a piece of striped 10mm brass from an FBI MP5/10 he collected when the opportunity presented itself, back in the mid 00's. From what I understand, the FBI doesn't issue MP5's of any flavor anymore and they're all out of circulation, replaced with Colt 933's and such.

But he keeps that piece of brass in his gun safe because I threaten to steal it from him every time 10mm comes up in any other context. I (jokingly?) curse him for not getting a second piece for me when he had the chance.
    I don't get all gushy or weak in the knees for many things, but I'd do some silly shit for the opportunity to run a few mags through an MP5/10.

User Tag List