Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Any of you .Gov types personally feeling the pinch?

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    My memory is probably faulty but I was active duty Army during Clinton’s presidency and I thought that during one of his shutdowns we either didn’t get a paycheck or were told we wouldn’t but it was lifted before that happened.
    I was active duty Air Force during the Clinton shut down. I got paid as did my troops, but our civilians did not. Many being former military came in anyway and worked for free. I cannot recall if they got back pay.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I was active duty Air Force during the Clinton shut down. I got paid as did my troops, but our civilians did not. Many being former military came in anyway and worked for free. I cannot recall if they got back pay.
    I did some googling and found that while they threatened not to pay us the first time in 95 fell between paychecks so it didn’t come to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    You are going to have to help me out with this notion of a ‘relevant celebrity’.
    At this point, we have to admit that Donald Trump probably qualifies. Reagan did too. Hell, Obama probably fits the bill, considering how little political experience he had when he took the oath. Dude was primarily known for being a book author, IIRC.

Jay-z, Tay Tay, or Liam Neeson, not so much. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    At this point, we have to admit that Donald Trump probably qualifies. Reagan did too. Hell, Obama probably fits the bill, considering how little political experience he had when he took the oath. Dude was primarily known for being a book author, IIRC.

Jay-z, Tay Tay, or Liam Neeson, not so much. JMO.
    I forgot Gal Gadot. Most def relevant. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

As a DOD civilian, I’m not. DOD is fully funded. My wife is, as she is a mission essential employee for another Fed agency. She has to work, but didn’t get paid.

I’m glad that we are not both in unfunded agencies, and that I have pretty decent pension income from the State.

Site Supporter
    USNI (naval institute) blog post on the shut down:

https://blog.usni.org/posts/2019/01/...nment-shutdown

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I find the whole thing difficult.

I think a wall is needed. We've tried the "enhanced security" a million times and gotten zero improvement for decades. Claiming its a waste of money strikes me as untenable. Government will waste money, why not on an idea we havent tried that has done well for others and could help us economically as well as with security.

I also think people need to be paid. Right now. Forcing others to do without money is ridiculous. People are going to be seriously harmed by this if they havent been already.

I feel like Schumer and Pelosi keep saying the same thing "Trump is making this happen because he HAS to have his way!" when they are doing the same thing by not approving the funding. They make out like the wall is morally wrong, and I dont agree with that. Especially considering they have proposed it in the past. Seems they are more anti-Trump than antiwall. The act they all left for a vacation while this is unresolved also strikes me as wrong.

I feel like I'm mostly in agreement with Trump. He tends to be an ass but on this I agree with him. There is no reason this wasnt done long ago, and they seem to only oppose it because he feels it is important to the nation. I get they may think other options are better, but to think a wall is so absolutely horrendous that you allow this big an upset is stupid. If Trump caves our problem persists. If they cave a potential solution is attempted.

I don't understand the logic, and feel it's ridiculous that things have gotten to this point.

-Cory

Site Supporter
    The thing I find most interesting is the break of the border patrol council from the rest of the union on this issue. I don’t see them being allowed to become a separate public union so I think there will be some reprocussions and reprisals against the leaders of that council when this is all said and done because they aren’t on board with the rest of AFGE.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I find the whole thing difficult.

I think a wall is needed. We've tried the "enhanced security" a million times and gotten zero improvement for decades. Claiming its a waste of money strikes me as untenable. Government will waste money, why not on an idea we havent tried that has done well for others and could help us economically as well as with security.

I also think people need to be paid. Right now. Forcing others to do without money is ridiculous. People are going to be seriously harmed by this if they havent been already.

I feel like Schumer and Pelosi keep saying the same thing "Trump is making this happen because he HAS to have his way!" when they are doing the same thing by not approving the funding. They make out like the wall is morally wrong, and I dont agree with that. Especially considering they have proposed it in the past. Seems they are more anti-Trump than antiwall. The act they all left for a vacation while this is unresolved also strikes me as wrong.

I feel like I'm mostly in agreement with Trump. He tends to be an ass but on this I agree with him. There is no reason this wasnt done long ago, and they seem to only oppose it because he feels it is important to the nation. I get they may think other options are better, but to think a wall is so absolutely horrendous that you allow this big an upset is stupid. If Trump caves our problem persists. If they cave a potential solution is attempted.

I don't understand the logic, and feel it's ridiculous that things have gotten to this point.

-Cory
    Border security is needed. A wall is a waste of money.

Walls and fencing are only effective in built up areas (towns cities etc) even then it is a speed bump and only as good as the response by the force patrolling it.

Specific to TX, which is a significant paortion of the border, a wall will not do anything the River doesn’t already do.

We have no problem catching people. I can’t remember the last time we have encountered an illegal alien who entered within the last 10 years and had not 1) entered legally with a border crossing card and over stayed or 2) had not been caught by USBP and either released with a court date or voluntarily returned to Mexico to try again.

If you want border security you need to end catch and release and have real and immediate consequences for those caught entering illegally or making fraudulent claims and you need to beef up the ports of entry and interior checkpoints to inspect a higher percentage of cargo traffic which is how most narcotics enter.

If Trump was serious about building a wall he should have pushed it when he had both houses of Congress. Doing so now is grandstanding at best and incredibly stupid at worst.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-13-2019 at 03:07 PM.

User Tag List