Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any of you .Gov types personally feeling the pinch?

Site Supporter
    AFAIK, essential employees have to be paid. They can't work for free, it's covered by U.S.C. 1342. They may have to wait for their pay, but it's coming.

The furloughed can apply for unemployment benefits, but when back-pay is done, they have to return the unemployment.

I just read some statistic that something like 78% of the Americans are paycheck to paycheck.
    Last edited by JV_; 01-10-2019 at 05:36 PM.

I'm not sure how many times I've gone through gov't shutdowns from 1977 to 2004 but it was a few. I was never not made whole.

That said, I worked around plenty of folks who lived paycheck to paycheck and didn't prepare for the unexpected. Yes, that was on them for lack of foresight and planning (to the extent they could).

Fortunately, for those in dire need there are provisions to take loans from the retirement system which must then be repaid (to themselves, essentially). I've never had to explore anything like that during my career.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

My wife is a contract language instructor for the State Department so we're minus that nice bit of income currently. Thankfully she has some other projects on the side and I'm the insurance provider, but it's less than ideal financially, that's for sure. We just did a big house remodeling project and I'm pretty friggin' grateful that's done and paid for prior to this debacle.

Anyone think that this shutdown could continue into the spring?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 01-10-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Best of luck to those caught up in this.
    “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.” Machiavelli, The Prince

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by K.Hungus View Post

It's certainly possible, but I doubt it. My understanding is that the majority of Federal civilian employees are Democrats, and I'm sure they'll be bringing heat on Democratic legislators.

I was a DoD contractor for several years and went through a shutdown. The company I worked for stepped up and kept paying us since we were required to keep working.

Quote Originally Posted by K.Hungus View Post

Yes.

It’s my hope to avoid pointless partisan bickering , but I feel this must be said; this 20 day shutdown and the impact it’s having is a *Washington DC* failure, not just one party or person. Passing a goddamn budget is a basic function of any organization which spends money.

It’s a point I will remember in the elections to come.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    My understanding is that the majority of Federal civilian employees are Democrats
    Where is such info gleaned? I can't remember anyone polling me on my political affiliation or lack thereof during my 27 years working for "uncle".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Where is such info gleaned? I can't remember anyone polling me on my political affiliation or lack thereof during my 27 years working for "uncle".
    It's one of those "I read it somewhere" things and I don't remember where I read it. All my time directly employed by my rich uncle was in the Army, and I don't recall being asked about my political affiliation either.

The branch I work for is fully funded. I've been through all three now and in the past they have said we might not get paid until after the shutdown ended but so far I've always been paid on time. My buddy used to work for the Corps of Engineers and he was laid of in 2013 but they ended up backpaying everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List