Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Any of you .Gov types personally feeling the pinch?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I am only contributing to this thread to correct this statement which is a common misunderstanding.

The Coast Guard is always a branch of the military.

That's direct from US Code and is the definition of "armed forces" or in common parlance "the military." They are the only branch of the military that does not fall under the operational control of the DoD, which doesn't affect their status as a branch of the Armed Forces. Members of the Coast Guard are entitled to the same pay rates and benefits as members of the DoD branches of the military.

The reason they're not getting funded right now is because as correctly stated, they're part of Homeland and not the DoD, and Homeland's funding was one of the major bones of contention in the appropriation that everyone was fighting over. Regardless, to say they're "not really" military or "para-military" is just fucking dumb.
    I hate that you got so butt-hurt so easily. Looking at the definition you cited, it was drafted in 2006 and implemented in 2012, which was well after I got out of the military. But like so many things in our country, the definitions change over time. It’s similar to the argument we have here on P-F and other places about whether or not civilian cops are civilians.

The problem is the Coast Guard is a hybrid organization no matter how you look at it. We have laws that prohibit the military from enforcing civilian laws against our own citizens. The USCG enforces laws against Americans daily. They are part military and part law enforcement. They are not subject to Posse Comitatus, but they do get the protections the DoD has under the Soldiers & Sailors Relief act. They are simply not the same as our traditional military services.

I went to high school with a kid whose dad was a Coastie. He used to argue that they were absent from the recruiting commercials on TV because they had a smaller budget and couldn’t afford it. I tried to explain that the DoD paid for the commercials and they were (at that time) DOT. He didn’t believe me. He also swore his dad told him the Coast Guard flew F-16’s… Some people just can’t handle calling something what it is. Today I’d refer to this kid as a precious snowflake.

The bottom line is the Coast Guard is a great organization. They are extremely important and useful. I have friends and family who have been or are now Coasties. For much of my Air Force career I worked hand in hand with the various District RCC’s for the Coast Guard. Our National SAR School is on their facility in Yorktown. My comment was in no way intended to be a slight. You just read it that way because you applied your personal hurt when you read it. But to call me “fucking dumb” just shows I’m debating with a person who has the maturity of a 13 year old. Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I hate that you got so butt-hurt so easily.

But to call me “fucking dumb” just shows I’m debating with a person who has the maturity of a 13 year old. Best of luck to you.
    I didn't call you fucking dumb. I said that your statement was fucking dumb. But yeah, I'm the one who's butthurt easily. It annoys me when people who should know better say shit that is factually incorrect and then try to walk it back when they get called out on it. The Coast Guard was part of the Armed Forces when I joined up in 2000 back when they were in the DOT.

They're still part of the Armed Forces 19 years later when I'm in the DoD. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I didn't call you fucking dumb. I said that your statement was fucking dumb. But yeah, I'm the one who's butthurt easily. It annoys me when people who should know better say shit that is factually incorrect and then try to walk it back when they get called out on it. The Coast Guard was part of the Armed Forces when I joined up in 2000 back when they were in the DOT.

They're still part of the Armed Forces 19 years later when I'm in the DoD. Weird.
    FWIW, I didn’t think you came off as hutthurt.

And yes, the USCG is part of the armed forces, as while their responsibilities are delineated in Title 14, their status as armed forces is enumerated in Title 10. I think Title 10 was established prior to 2006.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    The Executive Branch is headed by two people; ergo the use of the plural. I was not referencing the support staff, as they actually do their jobs.
    Weak sauce backpedaling, brah.

Read what you wrote. “The entire executive branch”. That’s not a great way to reference the two people heading the executive.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Weak sauce backpedaling, brah.

Read what you wrote. “The entire executive branch”. That’s not a great way to reference the two people heading the executive.
    How about you go Amazon prime some context and try again “brah”.
    I’ll show myself out of this thread.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List