Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any of you .Gov types personally feeling the pinch?

Site Supporter
    I've also never been asked, but I don't doubt that the may have a majority considering the surrounding areas are fairly liberal. You have to go pretty far west, towards Fauquier county, before you have have a republican majority.
    Last edited by JV_; 01-10-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    It's certainly possible, but I doubt it. My understanding is that the majority of Federal civilian employees are Democrats, and I'm sure they'll be bringing heat on Democratic legislators.

I was a DoD contractor for several years and went through a shutdown. The company I worked for stepped up and kept paying us since we were required to keep working.
    The majority of federal civilian employees in DC may be democrats but that simply reflects the demeographics of the area. Otherwise your understanding is incorrect. Overall Fed Gov employees are a 50/50 mix like the general population.

When Pelosi and Schumer have lost Cher...

Vis a vis "how long will it last?":https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1083260479542181888
    Last edited by Drang; 01-10-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

My youngest brother is an E5 in the CG, him and the S-I-L have over three month’s worth in bills and mortgage payments tucked away. He also has a rental property occupied by a few junior naval officers so he’s not too worried right now.

It sounds like a number of his immediate coworkers aren’t as confident at the moment.

I'm DoD and we have a full budget funded, so this hasn't affected me. I think ridership on the metro is down, but my bus seems to mostly have the normal amount of people.

I was furloughed during the summer of 2013 and I lost pay. We also got a zero pay raise that year (actually, three years in a row, I believe). Then when the government shut down later in 2013 (beginning of FY14), we had enough carryover funding for a couple of weeks to get us through the shutdown.

I was talking to a guy last night that works for the State Department. He hasn't worked during this shutdown. He's my age, and is probably reasonably financially secure, and he said his wife works, so for him, he can make it through this without too much pain. He viewed this is a vacation that will eventually be paid. But for younger people who have a tighter budget, it must be hard.

I heard a bunch of meteorologists complaining that they couldn't make it to their annual conference. I don't have a lot of sympathy for them. Again, back to 2013 - in addition to the budget problems, that was right after the GSA travel scandal, so we had *extremely* strict rules about travel, and each trip had to get individually reviewed and approved. In particular, conferences required 4-star review, and as a result, our symposium was cancelled for two or three years. I also remember during the 1995 shutdown happened right in the middle of a conference, and all the government employees had to fly home pronto. Boo hoo. Life went on.

Sometimes contractors win, sometimes they lose. One place I worked, when we shutdown, the contractors kept working because they had funding obligated on contract and could charge against it. However, I heard that someone said they couldn't work if their government customers weren't in the office. I argued that they would probably be twice as productive if they could work on their own without our interference.

Any of you .Gov types personally feeling the pinch?
    Yes, and despite having some "emergency funds," it is still going to hurt. The young folks, at the lower pay grades, who haven't had as much time/opportunity to build up any "emergency funds," are having a much rougher time.

Yes

Relatives at FLETC and a Coastie in the office for whom we'll probably be buying food. This is a pooburger.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    It's pinching others too. Folks on National Science Foundation, National Institute for Health, and even DOE/DOD fellowships are getting squeezed. At this point their fellowships are "on hold".
    ...where are you getting this from? I am currently being funded by a NIH (NHLBI) NRSA F31 Fellowship and I received my paycheck on time this month. To my knowledge my entire annual award amount was disbursed to my division when I got my NOA in July.

Both my wife and I work for the Feds. I'm working every day but she's at home. I have not doubt that my work will be compensated and I'm 80% confident my wife will get back pay as well.

I've never been happier to be a Dave Ramsey follower. The only thing I'll do differently after this mess is bump the emergency fund up by 25%.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    She hasn't been a relevant celebrity for the majority of my natural life

User Tag List