Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any of you .Gov types personally feeling the pinch?

Site Supporter
    My last paycheck dropped on the 28th of December, it was already in the cue. Next check would of dropped into the account tomorrow or the next. My wife stays home with our two boys so I am the only check coming in but we got an emergency fund so we are good probably until middle March. We have postponed planning a trip to visit family in March and tightened up spending/projects thinking this will go long.

Folks at my office have been gathering at the local brewery once a week, some filed for unemployment and others are just riding it out. A mix of worry for some folks and a vacation for others.

A few more weeks and we’ll have skipped over our planned seasonal hiring event, trainings, and the effects could ride into wildland fire season.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    ...where are you getting this from? I am currently being funded by a NIH (NHLBI) NRSA F31 Fellowship and I received my paycheck on time this month. To my knowledge my entire annual award amount was disbursed to my division when I got my NOA in July.
    Bolded part is the key.

If your institution administers your disbursement you're just fine. Some institutions do not and have NSF/NIH/etc disburse the funds to the fellow. This is particularly the case for NSF post-doctoral fellowships where the fellow is the PI. Some institutions only accept a portion of the disbursement at a time, depending on how they do their books. For folks at those institutions, they are up shit creek*. I know people at Iowa State, Vanderbilt, and University of Florida who are all in this realm (either the institution didn't receive the whole amount of NSF/NIH paid them directly).

My wife is a grants and contracts administrator, she could go on for hours about how money is distributed from funding agencies to institutions and how much it varies from place to place. I hear about it - every single day. It's great for me, because I know what's up often before most others, but I also hear about it, every single day.

*Unless their institutions cover the costs, knowing they'll eventually get the money from the funding agency. Private institutions are more likely to do this, some folks like the ones I know at Iowa State are to put it simply, screwed.

PS: It is primarily folks on post-doctoral fellowships that are getting shafted. In general, students who are receiving F31s or NSF GRFPs have guaranteed funds from their respective institutions, such that the institution will cover your pay, until the funding agency pays you again (assuming, again, that your institution isn't disbursing your funds to you). I've seen it mixed 50:50 on NSF GRFPs where NSF sends the student a check or the institution sends the student a paycheck.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-10-2019 at 11:08 PM.

My bureau is funded through sometime early February, and I’m still even getting paid my OT. So, we haven’t really felt it yet.

Another aspect to consider are federally funded state level programs. My wife works for a state, and they’re 50/50 funded between state tax and federal. They’re good until August, but I bet there’s state agencies looking at some serious issues already if their state funding isn’t as robust.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    My daughter recently got a job with the Tonto National Forest (Department of Agriculture).
    She waited for a long time to be hired and really likes the job.

No savings of notice. She was over here this afternoon cleaning our house for some money to cover bills.
    If this isn't resolved soon. she'll have to start looking for another job.
    She's really upset about the situation.
    Last edited by wrmettler; 01-10-2019 at 11:29 PM.

There hasn’t been a relevant celebrity for the majority of my natural life
    FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ahem

Site Supporter
    Ahem

Have you ever read anything he's written (I have, two books' worth)? He's NOT Ron Swanson.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Bolded part is the key.

If your institution administers your disbursement you're just fine. Some institutions do not and have NSF/NIH/etc disburse the funds to the fellow. This is particularly the case for NSF post-doctoral fellowships where the fellow is the PI.
    I am PI on my grant. Based on the structure of the funding request in the grant, I am surprised they NIH would disburse money on a monthly basis. Funds are requested in a fairly strictly itemized list of annual expenses. e.g.

*Unless their institutions cover the costs, knowing they'll eventually get the money from the funding agency. Private institutions are more likely to do this, some folks like the ones I know at Iowa State are to put it simply, screwed.

PS: It is primarily folks on post-doctoral fellowships that are getting shafted. In general, students who are receiving F31s or NSF GRFPs have guaranteed funds from their respective institutions, such that the institution will cover your pay, until the funding agency pays you again (assuming, again, that your institution isn't disbursing your funds to you). I've seen it mixed 50:50 on NSF GRFPs where NSF sends the student a check or the institution sends the student a paycheck.
    To my knowledge, the NIH won't cover 100% of your tuition anyway (I had to re-submit my tuition/fees breakdown after the bounced my first one for requesting 100% tuition support) so at least some portion will need to be covered by your PI or a TAship.

Also, I don't really know of many institutions/programs that cover student funding costs independent of NIH (or other grant-based) funding (Mayo Graduate School is the only exception that comes to mind). As an MD PhD student at U Colorado, my first two years (MD) were covered by our program's NIH MSTP T32 training grant, first ~9 months of PhD came out of my PI's R01, and I have been funded by my F31 since (with ~15% of my overall costs still coming out of my PI's R01). The only 'institutional' (non-NIH awarded) money that will pay for my education will be MSTP program funding to cover my last year or 2 of med school once my F31 is up.

Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but it doesn't ring true with my experience, and I've been funded continuously by the NIH in one way, shape, or form since September 2013 (Post-bac R01 supplement for 2 years at Mayo Clinic before moving to CO) so this isn't my first gov't shutdown while on the Fed's dime.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 01-11-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Site Supporter
    ...where are you getting this from? I am currently being funded by a NIH (NHLBI) NRSA F31 Fellowship and I received my paycheck on time this month. To my knowledge my entire annual award amount was disbursed to my division when I got my NOA in July.
    NIH has funding until Sept. 30 and has not been impacted. If your institution receives the complete disbursement in July, you should be good through June 30, 2020.

NSF is mostly off from work. Their grant submission portal is still up (including technical support), but I think all grant reviews have stopped.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Have you ever read anything he's written (I have, two books' worth)? He's NOT Ron Swanson.

Chris
    Disappointing. I'll have to skip on the books to keep my fantasy alive!

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    NIH has funding until Sept. 30 and has not been impacted. If your institution receives the complete disbursement in July, you should be good through June 30, 2020.

NSF is mostly off from work. Their grant submission portal is still up (including technical support), but I think all grant reviews have stopped.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    Yeah that was my impression as well. NIH seems to agree :P

UW has this to say about the NSF:

National Science Foundation (NSF): Information About the Government Shutdown for NSF Proposers and Grantees
    Will continue to accept proposals in accordance with published deadlines
    Proposals will not be processed until normal operations resume
    No new funding opportunities will be issued
    No new grants or cooperative agreements will be awarded
    Awardees may continue performance under their NSF awards to extent funds are available and within the awarded period of performance
    No payments will be made
    Grantee-approved no-cost extensions (i.e. notification in Fastlane) can be processed
    NSF-approved no-cost extension will NOT be processed
    Last edited by Nephrology; 01-11-2019 at 09:58 AM.

User Tag List