Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, it looks like it won't be Tucson, I've landed in North AZ

Gunsite is on my bucket list, possibly 2019. Debriefing those that have gone (250, mostly) they all focus on the overall "Gunsite experience" more than anything else. Those that went with existing skill/methods were taught the "modern technique" but were not compelled to change if they were safe and effective. Nothing they described learning was bad, just some dated/different operations of the gun. Also said- having 250 in their back pocket had better standing and made them more persuasive in some crowds.

I'd like to hear feedback on the Colorado offsite classes, here: https://www.gunsite.com/mobile-train...ite-classes-2/). Anyone been?
    Last edited by ST911; 01-10-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

As long as we're mentioning AZ clubs for IDPA shooting, don't forget about Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. They host several IDPA matches every month, and from Sedona are about the same drive time as Rio Salado Sportsman's Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The comments about Gunsite being "dated" probably have some validity, and if I lived that close, I'd be there in a hot minute.

There are plenty of good people who put bad people in the ground and went home to their families to eat a nice steak dinner using that dated curriculum.

What I've found is that 80% to 90% of shooting school curriculums are fundamentally the same, and people love to argue about the differences on the internet.
    Yeah I tend to agree, so long as they are now teaching modern thumbs forward isosceles derived techniques and not pushing Weaver, or some such, still.

I just looked at their classes though and what's got me intrigued is their Battle Rifle and Precision Rifle classes! I just purchased an LMT MWS .308 and a NF 4-16 power ATACR scope and man oh man I'm way digging the prospect of taking those classes!

p.s. Are into Les Pauls?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Gunsite, besides being the birthplace of much of Modern Shooting technique, has the best facility of any school I have been to. My wife and I are taking Precision Rifle there in April. The Gunsite family and spirit of Gunsite are world class. Attending a GAS (Gunsite Alumni Shoot) match in the fall is an awesome experience.
    Yeah, I just saw the battle rifle and precision rifle classes! I only have a 16" barrel for my LMT MWS .308 so I guess Battle Rifle would be more appropriate for me at this point? I've shot a 16" 556 gun out to 500 yards, couldn't make the 600 yard shot hits, with a 1-5x Burris XTRII, so extrapolating from that I'm thinking that my 16" .308 would be more of a 600-800 yard gun, but 1000 may be stretching it. What do you think?

You are a lucky man to get your wife to go to a shooting course with you! I've only managed to take my wife to a Dr. William Aprill lecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Sedona is world class for both the above. Add in mountain biking and you will have little time to shoot!
    Don’t forget the zen, spiritual and energy vortices of Sedona!

Yeah, I also want to get into all the mountain biking my soon to be 50 year old physique could handle! Nothing too extreme though, like those wild people careening off the sides of mountains with their bikes, yikes

And...yep, my wife is a Yoga teacher and is all over that transcendental meditation and energy vortex stuff! We'll be checking out the hot spots soon I'm sure!
    My only regret now is that I don't have any land where I could shoot or else I'd have you fellas over for some Sedona Energy Vortex Tactical Training Sessions!

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Gunsite is on my bucket list, possibly 2019. Debriefing those that have gone (250, mostly) they all focus on the overall "Gunsite experience" more than anything else. Those that went with existing skill/methods were taught the "modern technique" but were not compelled to change if they were safe and effective. Nothing they described learning was bad, just some dated/different operations of the gun. Also said- having 250 in their back pocket had better standing and made them more persuasive in some crowds.

I'd like to hear feedback on the Colorado offsite classes, here: https://www.gunsite.com/mobile-train...ite-classes-2/). Anyone been?
    Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the intel!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    As long as we're mentioning AZ clubs for IDPA shooting, don't forget about Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. They host several IDPA matches every month, and from Sedona are about the same drive time as Rio Salado Sportsman's Club.
    Well a 2 hour trip to Phoenix once a month isn't too bad at all for a superlative match experience I suppose!

I'll say this for Gunsite:

They had four instructors in the class I took at Rogers. They had numerous instructors attend the Rangemaster NWTacCon. Several took Gabe White's class this past week. While they are obviously tied to the Gunsite doctrine, they aren't shutting themselves out to other stuff out there. Ken Campbell states that the doctrine is evolving.

I took a class (Shotgun 260) at Gunsite this past October. I'm hoping to back for a pistol class there. Even if you find yourself at odds with some doctrinal things, their facilities offer opportunities that you just don't get on the travel circuit.

As for the temperature difference mentioned above, I left Paulden in mid-afternoon, and the temp was in the 60s. An hour and a half later when I stopped in Flagstaff, the temp was in the low 40s.

Sedona is also only an hour and a half away from Ben Avery in the Phoenix area; so, there are plenty of training options available.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Don’t forget the zen, spiritual and energy vortices of Sedona!
    Only place I was ever airsick was about 1000' AGL over Sedona...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post

I am super excited to get into the whole Overlanding (remote 4x4 camping) and Hiking lifestyle.
    I still have red dirt in the family tent from Sedona. Just doesn't go away.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

User Tag List