Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, it looks like it won't be Tucson, I've landed in North AZ

Quote Originally Posted by ncrockclimb View Post
    I know a few guys that drive from N AZ / Prescott to shoot at the Thursday night match at Ben Avery. It is located at the northern end of Phoenix and right off I-17. Depending on weather and exactly where you are located, it would be a 1 to 1.5 hr drive. There is also a Wednesday night steel match at CowTown Range that is about 5 min further down the road.
    Another great tip. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Prescott USPSA match is first Saturday and third Sunday of the month. They also have IDPA and Steel Challenge. Kingman has USPSA the second Saturday and Steel Challenge the first Sunday of the month. Phoenix area generally has nearly a match every day of the week, and Tuesday Night Steel at Rio Salado has been legendary for like four decades.
    OK, lots of options! So it looks like all I need to do is to just get my ass in gear and make it happen. Flagstaff and Prescott will be the closest options, but I may go down toward Phoenix as well. I need to look up where Rio Salado is! Many Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    OK, lots of options! So it looks like all I need to do is to just get my ass in gear and make it happen. Flagstaff and Prescott will be the closest options, but I may go down toward Phoenix as well. I need to look up where Rio Salado is! Many Thanks.
    Flagstaff will be WAY colder in the winter months! I don’t believe Flagstaff is nearly as active as other USPSA clubs, due to the number of shooters and I believe their monthly match conflicts with Kingman, which is better attended.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Flagstaff will be WAY colder in the winter months! I don’t believe Flagstaff is nearly as active as other USPSA clubs, due to the number of shooters and I believe their monthly match conflicts with Kingman, which is better attended.
    Yeah Flagstaff was totally snowed over a few days ago when I drove into Sedona on Jan 6th! So yeah I need an alternative during the snow season for sure. Kingman may be out of my range as it is about a 3 hour drive unfortunately.

EDIT:

I've found this in Prescott: http://yavapairecreationleague.net

So maybe Prescott, and Phoenix may be the best bets overall. Well except when it is super hot in the summer I think I'll be avoiding Phoenix! Flagstaff is the closest at around 45min so season permitting I'll probably check it out as well.
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 01-09-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Yeah, I know what you mean about Gunsite..I have mixed feelings about it..but I may check it out.
    The comments about Gunsite being "dated" probably have some validity, and if I lived that close, I'd be there in a hot minute.

There are plenty of good people who put bad people in the ground and went home to their families to eat a nice steak dinner using that dated curriculum.

What I've found is that 80% to 90% of shooting school curriculums are fundamentally the same, and people love to argue about the differences on the internet.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 01-09-2019 at 11:09 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The comments about Gunsite being "dated" probably have some validity,...
    Gabe White's Pistol Shooting Solutions, Phoenix, January 5-6, 2019.
    ...Ken Campbell is the COO of Gunsite and an absolute gentleman. You would never picture him as a guy who has smoked some bad guys in his days as an Indiana sheriff. When I asked him how dogmatic is Gunsite these days in regards to the Cooper doctrine. He said Gunsite was “evolving” as evidenced by sending 3 instructors to learn from Gabe...
    FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Rio Salado Sportman’s Club is at 3960 N Usery Pass Rd Mesa/Maricopa County. It’s north of Mesa. Google Maps say it’s about a two and a half hour drive from Sedona.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The comments about Gunsite being "dated" probably have some validity, and if I lived that close, I'd be there in a hot minute.

There are plenty of good people who put bad people in the ground and went home to their families to eat a nice steak dinner using that dated curriculum.

What I've found is that 80% to 90% of shooting school curriculums are fundamentally the same, and people love to argue about the differences on the internet.
    Gunsite, besides being the birthplace of much of Modern Shooting technique, has the best facility of any school I have been to. My wife and I are taking Precision Rifle there in April. The Gunsite family and spirit of Gunsite are world class. Attending a GAS (Gunsite Alumni Shoot) match in the fall is an awesome experience.

Hammertime
    I am super excited to get into the whole Overlanding (remote 4x4 camping) and Hiking lifestyle.
    Sedona is world class for both the above. Add in mountain biking and you will have little time to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Sedona is world class for both the above. Add in mountain biking and you will have little time to shoot!
    Don’t forget the zen, spiritual and energy vortices of Sedona!

User Tag List