Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, it looks like it won't be Tucson, I've landed in North AZ

Well, it looks like it won't be Tucson, I've landed in North AZ

It was going to be Tucson, but instead I've moved to the Sedona area. From what I can tell thus far, I'll have to go to Flagstaff for IDPA/USPSA.

Any suggestions for training/matches in North AZ? Thanks.

From my limited AZ time that sounds like a win to me
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Might call around to Cottonwood and Prescott gun shops and see whats happening. Flag has some stuff going on I believe. Be prepared to drive more than you may be used to for social, shopping, and entertainment needs.

Otherwise, I applaud your choice, I wish I could be there. Many good memories of the area. Go have coffee or breakfast at the Coffee Pot restaurant for me. Used to be good, but its been a long time since Ive been there. Lots of good dirt roads and trails to explore. Poor weather is some of the best times to be out hiking, it cuts down on the human activity quite a lot.

I look at the weather there every day, wishing i was there instead of somewhere that it snows. OK, it snows there, but its more decorative snow than serious snow.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-09-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Well, GUNSITE is right outside of Prescott, AZ; although some may opine that its curriculum is “dated”, it is the first private shooting school, and has many classes to choose from and ranges to run them on. If you have the wherewithal and time, it has to be at the top of any list.
    There are other instructors of note in the area, and I’m sure a web search could turn up some options.
    @GJM: I believe he ventures into AZ for competition, so he may have some suggestions. A search of USPSA/IDPA sites would give one club competition in the area.

Congratulations, Sedona looks beautiful.

If you don't mind a 2 hour drive, Payson AZ has some options:

http://tontorimsportsclub.com/PPP/default.php

They have a Steel Challenge match this weekend, and it looks like a USPSA match later in the month.

Practiscore is the best resource I've found for finding clubs and matches in unfamiliar areas. https://practiscore.com/dashboard/home

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    It was going to be Tucson, but instead I've moved to the Sedona area. From what I can tell thus far, I'll have to go to Flagstaff for IDPA/USPSA.

I know a few guys that drive from N AZ / Prescott to shoot at the Thursday night match at Ben Avery. It is located at the northern end of Phoenix and right off I-17. Depending on weather and exactly where you are located, it would be a 1 to 1.5 hr drive. There is also a Wednesday night steel match at CowTown Range that is about 5 min further down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post

Prescott USPSA match is first Saturday and third Sunday of the month. They also have IDPA and Steel Challenge. Kingman has USPSA the second Saturday and Steel Challenge the first Sunday of the month. Phoenix area generally has nearly a match every day of the week, and Tuesday Night Steel at Rio Salado has been legendary for like four decades.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Might call around to Cottonwood and Prescott gun shops and see whats happening. Flag has some stuff going on I believe. Be prepared to drive more than you may be used to for social, shopping, and entertainment needs.

Otherwise, I applaud your choice, I wish I could be there. Many good memories of the area. Go have coffee or breakfast at the Coffee Pot restaurant for me. Used to be good, but its been a long time since Ive been there. Lots of good dirt roads and trails to explore. Poor weather is some of the best times to be out hiking, it cuts down on the human activity quite a lot.

I look at the weather there every day, wishing i was there instead of somewhere that it snows. OK, it snows there, but its more decorative snow than serious snow.
    Thank you and thank you for the tips. I'll have to look for the Coffee Pot!

We are in West Sedona and we are a 5 minute drive or less from a Safeway, WholeFoods, multiple convenience/pharmacy shops, and even a movie theater, etc. Between that and Amazon Prime we should be set

However, it looks like it will be a bit of a hike for any organized shooting activities, but when I was living in Athens GA I had some driving to do for that sort of stuff as well.

I am super excited to get into the whole Overlanding (remote 4x4 camping) and Hiking lifestyle.

Speaking of snow we came in town via Flagstaff and it was full on SnowMagedon up there, but only wet when we got into Sedona.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Well, GUNSITE is right outside of Prescott, AZ; although some may opine that its curriculum is “dated”, it is the first private shooting school, and has many classes to choose from and ranges to run them on. If you have the wherewithal and time, it has to be at the top of any list.
    There are other instructors of note in the area, and I’m sure a web search could turn up some options.
    @GJM: I believe he ventures into AZ for competition, so he may have some suggestions. A search of USPSA/IDPA sites would give one club competition in the area.
    Yeah, I know what you mean about Gunsite..I have mixed feelings about it..but I may check it out. At this point I will have the time to get back into consistent shooting practice again, and want to start doing daily dry fire practice, with live fire twice a month and just start doing a monthly IDPA or maybe USPSA match, and perhaps forgo my habit of a yearly class and then practice that was too sporadic, or was feast or famine type of practice.

My search of the inter webs has turned up:

http://flagstaffactionshooters.org/uspsa

they seem to have both idpa and uspsa.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Congratulations, Sedona looks beautiful.

If you don't mind a 2 hour drive, Payson AZ has some options:

http://tontorimsportsclub.com/PPP/default.php

They have a Steel Challenge match this weekend, and it looks like a USPSA match later in the month.

Practiscore is the best resource I've found for finding clubs and matches in unfamiliar areas. https://practiscore.com/dashboard/home
    Thank you!

I may not mind a 2 hour drive, as I was doing 1:30 to 2 hour drives for stuff like that when I was living in GA. At this point Flagstaff and maybe Prescott are looking like the best bets though.

User Tag List