Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Travel and goings on in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Trying to decide if I need a Malaria shot.
    Things are probably different today, but in the late 1990s the prophylaxis for malaria was 275 mg Mefloquine hydrochloride in pill form (brand name:Mephaquin). The pills worked well for me during 30 days in the NW Africa bush. My colleague didn't think he needed to take the pills and, unsurprisingly, got malaria. It's best to avoid malaria, if you can. It's an unpleasant bugger.

They have shots for malaria now?

I was always told to just take my quinine like a good Brit, with gin.

Tonic water is only 83 mg/liter quinine and you need about 2100mg for a 70kg adult to get to prophylactic stage. By my calculation that is approximately 25.3 liters of tonic water per day. Since you typically mix tonic to gin in a 2:1 ratio, you should budget about 13 liters of gin for your daily consumption. I believe you'll need about 2 pounds of limes a day.

Probably wouldn't hurt to get started on your preparation.

I’m headed back this summer. It’s a really fascinating place, enjoy your time there!
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...uthAfrica.html
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...tion-insurance

It wouldn't hurt to get a rabies vaccine, well make sure all your vaccines are up to date. Make sure that you are properly insured and that you have medical coverage. If your employer is insuring you make sure that they are insuring you the person and not the money they lose if you are incapacitated. Many hospitals abroad require payment before rendering emergency services, so it wouldn't hurt to have at least $5k available on a credit card.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Tonic water is only 83 mg/liter quinine and you need about 2100mg for a 70kg adult to get to prophylactic stage. By my calculation that is approximately 25.3 liters of tonic water per day. Since you typically mix tonic to gin in a 2:1 ratio, you should budget about 13 liters of gin for your daily consumption. I believe you'll need about 2 pounds of limes a day.

Sorry...not a shot but pills.
    My colleagues here tell me that they have been to RSA and did not worry about or have issues with Malaria.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

There are areas with malaria, but they're pretty limited. The website for the lodge should mention if its an issue.

Bring sunscreen.

Bring something for hangovers if you're going to try drinking with saffers

Dont worry , enjoy the trip it will be awesome.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    There are areas with malaria, but they're pretty limited. The website for the lodge should mention if its an issue.

Bring sunscreen.

Bring something for hangovers if you're going to try drinking with saffers

Dont worry , enjoy the trip it will be awesome.
    Thanks bro!

Greetings from South Africa. Great hospitality from everyone I have met here. My colleagues here are awesome and have been great showing me around the Johannesburg area.

I'm not much of a city person but the Emperor's Palace near the airport is a great place to stay. The countryside here is very beautiful.

If you are ever near Secunda, check out Crawdaddy's restaurant and Pub. It was fantastic!

Name:  20190225_155403[1].jpg
Views: 229
Size:  34.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Things are probably different today, but in the late 1990s the prophylaxis for malaria was 275 mg Mefloquine hydrochloride in pill form (brand name:Mephaquin). The pills worked well for me during 30 days in the NW Africa bush. My colleague didn't think he needed to take the pills and, unsurprisingly, got malaria. It's best to avoid malaria, if you can. It's an unpleasant bugger.
    Mefloquine one option, although it can have some interesting side effects (like seriously weird dreams). There is also Chloroquine, and my personal favorite, Malarone. Malarone seems to be the current designer drug, it costs the most, but it also apparently has the fewest side effects. (I am not a medical professional, although I have taken all 3 flavors at various times. You should consult with a competent medical authority for any decision relating to malaria prophylaxis)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Dude! One of your better posts....

pat

User Tag List