Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Travel and goings on in South Africa

RFI: Travel and goings on in South Africa

I've been informed that I will be heading to South Africa for work very soon. Will be there for 1 to 2 weeks. My employer will take care of my travel plans. My biggest concern is unrest in the country and what personal defense items I can take along.

Some of my coworkers have been there and mentioned the guards at the hotel armed with AKs. I'm not freaked out or anything, just want to be as prepared as I can. Is flying in and out of RSA with 1 or 2 small fixed blades ok or a no go? Stuff like that. Anyone here with experience traveling to RSA?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Ive spent a little time there

No there arent gaurds at the hotel with AK's. Not that I've ever seen. Yes there are armed gaurds in places , and while its more dangerous than say Vienna , its not a warzone

Where will you be staying and where will you be working?

How will you be getting around.

A small knife or two wont be an issue as long as long as you don't carry them at people. Especially considering you're carrying them to cut boxes and for emergency rescue ....

You can also buy pepper spray when you get here.

Apply the rule of stupid, keep your head about you , dont be an ugly American and you will have a great time. You're traveling to a country that is a tourism hotspot, not Syria

ps when youre here hit me up and I will buy you a beer if you're in or near Joburg
    Last edited by BigT; 01-13-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

In addition to toue fixed blades, you may consider a folder like an Opinel. They can be tuned to open with a flick, plus the virobloc lock is extremely sturdy. An Opinel is my go to travel blade.

To “tune” them, close the knife and insert it into a cup of warm water for a few minutes (only needs to be submerged to the pivot. Take it out and with the blade closed insert a flathead screwdriver (or similar) and twist. You’re pushing the wood away from the pivot. Repeat this a few times, until the blade opens with some friction, but still fairly easily. Now open the blade and do the same to the wood around the pivot which is normally covered by the lock.

Then dry the knife and pivot either letting it sit overnight or with a hair dryer/heat gun. Oil the pivot and drop one or two drops of oil in the groove of the lock (this will let you unlock and lock the blade one handed. Once the wood swelling goes down the blade should swing freely with a little flick. If it doesn’t tune some more with it dry this time.

You're GTG with a normal one hand opening folder or a reasonable fixed blade here
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I love the RSA. One of the best whiskey bars in the word is on the V&A waterfront in Capetown.
    Last edited by SouthNarc; 01-13-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your input.

I'll be staying near Wadeville and traveling to some mines in the area. My counterparts in country will be my chauffeurs.
    Last edited by Irelander; 01-14-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Well it's all happening. I'll be in RSA next week. Going to be a whirlwind tour of several coal mines. My counterparts there are going to treat me to a weekend at a lodge in a game reserve. Anyone have recommendations for gear to take to the game reserve besides a camera? Insect repellent?

Got a Clinch Pick recently so I'm happy about that. Hopefully I can find the time to modify the sheath before I go.
    Last edited by Irelander; 02-19-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Anyone have recommendations for gear to take to the game reserve besides a camera? Insect repellent?
    A rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    A rifle?
    Good one. I wish.

Trying to decide if I need a Malaria shot.

User Tag List