Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911/ safety ‘shelf’

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    This isn’t a gi style safety - would this present a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s no problem.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

holster

I have carried a 1911 pistol for long, long time. The only time I can remember, my thumb safety coming off, was in a cheap holster. Also, it was time to switch out springs, so that too added to it. Any quality 1911 in a quality holster, will not have that issue. Side note: Even when my thumb safety came off, I was still not in panic mode, since Mr. Browning has the grip safety also. As we all know a safety is a mechanical devise that will fail, eventually.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    I have carried a 1911 pistol for long, long time. The only time I can remember, my thumb safety coming off, was in a cheap holster. Also, it was time to switch out springs, so that too added to it. Any quality 1911 in a quality holster, will not have that issue. Side note: Even when my thumb safety came off, I was still not in panic mode, since Mr. Browning has the grip safety also. As we all know a safety is a mechanical devise that will fail, eventually.
    Agreed. But if you can hedge your bets slightly without having to deviate from standard safe practices, why not?

Site Supporter

1911/ safety ‘shelf’

When using a string side only safety, the sweat shield provides adequate protection for the safety. When using an ambi safety, I have wiped off the safety a couple of times when carrying a 1911. I had Matt Del Fatti make an IWB holster with the sweat shield shortened and modified to fit under the safety, holding the safety in the on safe position whenever the gun is in the holster. I am very happy with the result, but it took 18 months of waiting for it.

If Tony says he can do this, I encourage taking him up on it. Don’t be surprised if you need to send the holster back for a slight modification due to the many varied shapes of thumb safeties. If this happens, it is not Tony’s fault.

I did have to send my first holster back to Matt when it would not adequately secure the Wilson ambi safety of my Kimber. The replacement arrived much more quickly, and Matt did not charge any extra for it.

Last edited by BillSWPA; 01-10-2019 at 12:21 AM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    jeep45238, we can do it, but you have to ask for it in the comments of the order. And it has to be a factory safety. Thanks
    I wish I’d have known that when I ordered my EDC X9 Holster.

Long shot, but can this be done on an existing holster, or do you need to start over?

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I had Matt Del Fatti make an IWB holster with the sweat shield shortened and modified to fit under the safety, holding the safety in the on safe position whenever the gun is in the holster.
    If Tony says he can do this, I encourage taking him up on it. Don’t be surprised if you need to send the holster back for a slight modification due to the many varied shapes of thumb safeties. If this happens, it is not Tony’s fault.
    Tony's method is maybe not quite as precise but still effective. The lever on my Ruger looks to be pretty similar to the pictured Dan Wesson, and it also fits my Kimber that I originally bought the holster for. Ironically, the holster I most frequently use with an ambi gun was a subsequent order where he had quit doing it by default for just the such reasons being discussed. He offered to tweak it, but I have been using it every Sunday since it hit my mailbox. Also, the sweat guard was so nicely done I was a little reluctant to have it altered in any way. I am planning to transition back to the M&P for a while, maybe I will see what is possible/willing.

Maybe send along a pic of your particular gun? But I can confirm that it worked nicely with my Kimber and my Ruger.

ETA: He also does this when you order the M&P with a safety (and they are all ambi).
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-10-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I wish I’d have known that when I ordered my EDC X9 Holster.

Long shot, but can this be done on an existing holster, or do you need to start over?
    Bucky, it can be done to an existing holster, as long as you have a guard the covers at least half of the safety. Just send it back, include some shipping money for return shipping and I can do it for you.

Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

If you use kydex just get one with a full sweat shield and hit with a heat gun and your thumb...problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    Bucky, it can be done to an existing holster, as long as you have a guard the covers at least half of the safety. Just send it back, include some shipping money for return shipping and I can do it for you.

Thanks
    That's very kind of you. Yes, I always go full sweat guard.

Great timing, as my 92 Centurion holster from you should be arriving tomorrow.

I will ping you offline when I'm ready to send.

Thank you.

Site Supporter
    I'd appreciate some pictures of the holster when it arrives if you do it. Thanks in advance.

User Tag List