Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911/ safety ‘shelf’

Site Supporter

1911/ safety ‘shelf’

I’m getting back into 1911s after about a 10 year hiatus and a lot more wisdom. I’d like to have holsters with shelf that ensures the safety stays engaged (or engages upon entering the holster if its forgotten) as an added layer of mitigation during use. I searched and searched, and know that I’ve seen a couple on here, but can’t find any makers/models that do this work. The one I’ll be getting to start won’t have an ambi safety for this reason, but if the price is right and an ambi is there, this would help keep the safety engaged if it comes in contact with something.

Any suggestions on who does this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most kydex guys should be able to accomodate you. But remember the length and width of the shelf of the thumb safety may affect this.

@orionz06
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-09-2019 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I’m getting back into 1911s after about a 10 year hiatus and a lot more wisdom. I’d like to have holsters with shelf that ensures the safety stays engaged (or engages upon entering the holster if its forgotten) as an added layer of mitigation during use. I searched and searched, and know that I’ve seen a couple on here, but can’t find any makers/models that do this work. The one I’ll be getting to start won’t have an ambi safety for this reason, but if the price is right and an ambi is there, this would help keep the safety engaged if it comes in contact with something.

Any suggestions on who does this?

jeep45238, we can do it, but you have to ask for it in the comments of the order. And it has to be a factory safety. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    jeep45238, we can do it, but you have to ask for it in the comments of the order. And it has to be a factory safety. Thanks
    Thanks, just didn’t see it on your site

Not a common rig, but the SME holds the safety in the ON position

I’d like to have holsters with shelf that ensures the safety stays engaged (or engages upon entering the holster if its forgotten) as an added layer of mitigation during use.
    I know folks say this is possible, but I'm skeptical. There are so many different 1911 thumb safeties that I'd find it hard to believe a holster maker could make one specifically for your particular safety without having your gun in hand.

In my admittedly limited experience, my thumb safety merely pushes the sweat shield out of the way, whether the safety is on or off, and whether the sweat shield is leather or kydex. However, I have a Colt teardrop thumb safety that has a very positive off/on click. A long/wide/loosely fit thumb safety may certainly be more prone to movement by the sweat shield.

Site Supporter
    Tony (JM) made me an AIWB for a Smith M&Pc with thumb safety, and it will actually engage the factory safety lever/prevent deactivation on reholstering.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I know folks say this is possible, but I'm skeptical. There are so many different 1911 thumb safeties that I'd find it hard to believe a holster maker could make one specifically for your particular safety without having your gun in hand.
    I have the JMCK and it works great. As expected it is limited to the common profiles of the typical factory lever.

Site Supporter
    This isn’t a gi style safety - would this present a problem?

This isn’t a gi style safety - would this present a problem?

Not with the SME. IDK about the others.

User Tag List