Thread: Semi-"Grail Gun" found: S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman Target

Semi-"Grail Gun" found: S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman Target

Been looking for one of these for quite some time, and just found one today. 38/44 Outdoorsman Target. I believe this is a "Transitional" in that it has the pre-war long action but the post-war ribbed barrel, likely made between 1946 and 1948 but I need to research it further.

It's in fine shape but is not a showpiece. I'll have it out at the range this weekend if I can pry loose some time. Looking forward to loading up some 173gr Keith bullets in Starline 38+P brass with some Unique or 2400...

Site Supporter
    Oh, that is sweet!

Site Supporter
    I had one years ago. Then such were not in the sought category. I regret selling it and similar nice old Smith's. Treasure it.

Congrats on the beautiful piece!

-Rainman

Glorious!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

'Uncle' Guy was already retired from being a Muncie cop when I was a 5yr old kid in the early 70's, but I remember two of his guns distinctly: the confiscated little sawed off double barrel straight outta Gator and his presentation boxed S&W 38-44. My mind's eye wants to tell me it was a 5", but I was so tiny that it was simply a huge pistol to me.

Guy died when I was still a kid, 10 or less, certainly, and 'Aunt' Isabelle had his cop friends come take all the guns out of the house so their junkie kid didn't steal them for drug money. I knew even then what a crying frakkin shame that was. I hope they stayed in somebody's collection.

Elmer Keith approves. Nice piece!

Congrats you snared a good one . My '54 vintage pre 23 is a hell of a shooter . Don't know if you have experience with 38-44 loads but the old Elmer load of 13.5grs 2400 is nuclear . I use 12.5grs for around 1250fps , Unique don't exceed 7.0grs . I recently posted some of my loads in the Reloading section of this forum IIRC thread was titled Keith heavy 38 loads . Load up some wadcutter loads for paper punching , it's like shooting a cap gun & mine will out shoot any K38 I've ever shot . Enjoy your new purchase .
    Last edited by boatbum101; 01-09-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Very, very nice acquisition there!!!

Here’s a 1960 vintage Model 23 I grabbed late last Winter at a LGS. These .38/44s are incredible. And yup, that was the “asking“ price...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They aren't cheap, I got lucky in that mine had un-matched grips (the grips are at least 10-years younger than the gun); that, and the bit of wear on the gun, brought the price down to Earth.

User Tag List