Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some opinions-

Looking for some opinions-

New to the forum and was looking for some opinions on my next handgun purchase. I was looking at the FN fns 9c and the HK vp9sk. My choice would be for fall/winter carry and just a fun gun to shoot at the range. I have looked at tons of threads and reviews on both guns, both seem well liked and reviewed. My budget is pretty flexible for this purchase and just wanted to hear some thoughts from others. Any thoughts?

What handgun do you currently carry?

Site Supporter
    What are your criteria and priorities for selecting a pistol?

Also, what HopetonBrown asked is a good question. If you have multiple carry guns, commonality is a good thing.

It's hard to imagine advising an FN pistol over an HK unless you have an armed job and your duty weapon is an FN. In which case go with that for familiarity.

Looking for some opinions-

VP9.

FN has had some poor designs, and isn’t in the same league as Glock and HK.

And, I would choose a Gen5 Glock over either.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-08-2019 at 02:19 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

You asked for opinions, so ill give you mine. If you dont like it ill refund it for 100% of what you paid for it.

The VP9 is a gun that will make you look and feel good at the range. Excellent ergonomics, the best trigger of any striker I've shot except maybe the PPQ match version. Super lightweight for carry and did I mention the best ergonomics of any plastic pistol due to the grip panels?

Having said that, I would never buy one for carry. The trigger is just too light and too easy to have an ND. Were all human and we tend to make mistakes , and those mistakes tend to happen precisely when we feel we are no longer capable of making mistakes for whatever reason.

Also from a mechanical perspective it is a true SAO gun, despite what HKs marketing might claim. If you carry appendix you are having a fully cocked weapon with a very light trigger pointed directly at/around your femoral artery. If you hit the back of the slide hard enough it will release the striker, and then you are relying on the firing pin safety to prevent an AD. Of course its an HK and they never have mechanical failures blablabla but personally that is a dealbreaker for me.

No experience with the FN.

Personally I would go with the P30SK instead, or something of the CZ variety. But, again, the above is all my opinion based on my own experiences and observations and personal biases.

I liked the FN FNS 9c i shot, but FN doesn't support their handguns

As for the VP9, the trigger is very nice, i cant say much else

Honestly, if i were looking for a range toy/cold weather carry gun, I'm looking at bigger, heavier guns, like a beretta 92, cz75, glock 17/34/19x, etc

Not knowing your locale it's hard for me to know if "Fall/Winter" carry makes a considerable difference (i.e., Florida winter ≠ to Indiana winter). But if there is truly a difference in your attire and you're dressed more "bulky" then I would opt for a full-sized VP9. And carry it in a kydex hip holster. The HK is a superior gun to the FN offering.

That said, if appendix carry is your bag, a P30, P2000, UPSC, or even FS USP may be better. Or you may want to consider the PX4CC.

Hammertime
    VP9sk, hands down.

I absolutely would choose the a VP over a FN striker-fired pistol. The VP is far more ergonomic, and ergonomically tunable, with its provided backstrap and side panel configurations, the VP9 recommended RSA replacement interval is at a far higher roundcount than the FN, and I think your find not only likely superior design, manufacturing, and individual component quality on the HK, but also superior aftermarket customer service-and the HK comes with a lifetime warranty that they'll actually step up to the plate for.

At a minimum, I'd recommend that the OP go to a range and rent examples of both, or at least examples of each in their model series before buying.

Best, Jon

User Tag List