Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Magazine next to holster

Site Supporter
    When my left wrist was broken and in a big cast, I carried on my right side. I couldn't draw a mag with my left hand. If I wanted to reload, it would be (as taught) to insert the gun back into the holster and insert a mag. So, I put one of those Glock made little mag pouches in back of the gun's holster. Thus, I could draw the mag and put it into the gun. That worked in this special circumstance.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GNRPowdeR View Post
    The nylon holster being shown in this thread is not a quality, proper holster for EDC. If everyone is piling on the bus of not carrying a spare mag attached to the holster because of that holster, I'd agree...

A quality, proper holster that has a spare mag caddy attached (typically used in AIWB, but can be used as a strong side if desired) is a viable option, in my opinion.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Used AIWB a seperate mag pouch is more comfortable and versatile, used strong side it is just as impractical as the cheap nylon versions.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Used AIWB a seperate mag pouch is more comfortable and versatile, used strong side it is just as impractical as the cheap nylon versions.
    After having previously carried using this "impractical" method of carry for a few years, we must agree to disagree. It worked out well for me until my EDC needs changed...

It is an individual's choice as to what holster and magazine combination to carry. What works for one individual might not work for another. I don't think that cheap nylon holster on this thread is good for anything but field/casual carry. It wouldn't be my EDC as it is not made for that mission. If you want varied opinions, just search for j-frame pocket holster. Many opinions.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Many opinions.
    Not all of which are equal.

I can have an opinion on helicopter maintenance schedules. Or what scope one should use for 1,000 yard shots. Or who makes the best diving watch. I know fuck-all about any of the topics, but I can have an opinion. The incredible egalitarianism of opinion, regardless of expertise, knowledge, or experience, that makes the Internet such a fun place.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Not all of which are equal.
    #Truth

I do not see anything inherently wrong with having a spare magazine very near the holster body. If I am packing two spare mags, one is on the right side, and one on the left, so one is very near the holster.

As I see it, by the time I need to reload, one or the other hand or arm may be injured, or I may simply have shifted the weapon to a different hand, to take better advantage of cover or concealment. It seems a best practice, if carrying two or more reloads, to have at least one on each side.

Warning: The following rambles-on, a bit.

“Strong” and “weak” sides are lost, on me. “Primary” is normally worn at 0300, even though I am left-handed. Why? Well, I may be left-handed, but I am right-armed, so drawing felt natural, as a righty. My first handgun was a 1911, in the day when ambidextrous safeties were exotic, expensive devices, fitted by rare, mythical creatures. Private citizen carry was largely non-existent, in those days, anyway.

The right hip is normally more accessible while seated in a motor vehicle, and the soonest I could legally carry was when I started driving a police patrol car. Shooting a medium-large DA revolver with either hand was caveman-simple, and that was what I had to carry for my first year, 24/7. So, therefore, 0300 to 0330 carry, even though left-handed.

All of those big-bore Magnums I fired, in the Eighties, are being felt again, in this new century. With my right hand having had the worst of it, I may may well migrate my primary weapon’s holster to 0900. I plan to continue to carry a reload on each side.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I’m not sure about the magazine pouch actually on the holster, but I think carrying an additional spare mag (already having a spare mag on the support side) forward of the holster is legit.
    While training with Dave Harrington, he wore and advocated a magazine on the support side for use during "other gun hand" shooting. Talon Tactical pouches, IIRC.
    (And while doing that, gave some of the best transition and support side shooting instruction I've ever had.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Our shield guy has a spare on his holster side. Facilitates re-holstering and doing a one-handed reload while still keeping the shield in play.
    I got it in shield training as well. Am less a fan of taking the gun back to the holster, in favor of the pinch grip atop the carry handle.
    Last edited by ST911; 01-09-2019 at 08:52 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I personally don’t see why you would want both holster and mag pouch as one unit.

Honestly I think it makes sense to get a good quality AIWB mag pouch( DSG Koala and JMCK AIWB are excellent) and experiment with positioning and access. Pants ride different and also have different belt loop spacing. These are only one of the considerations you have to take into account. Also if you carry a fixed blade or other gear this also impacts small differences in optimal pouch location.

Or get a OWB pouch like CCC BMC and experiment.

STI I would like to hear more of Dave’s thoughts about the support side mag pouch and stuff. Anything of course that won’t take away from his course work material.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    While training with Dave Harrington, he wore and advocated a magazine on the support side for use during "other gun hand" shooting. Talon Tactical pouches, IIRC.
    (And while doing that, gave some of the best transition and support side shooting instruction I've ever had.)

I had an identical experience.

User Tag List