Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazine next to holster

Magazine next to holster

Okay, we all know I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. I am also sure this has been discussed, but couldn't find it. Why would you want to have a holster, with a spare magazine on it? I assume majority of educated people carry on the strong side. I get, that in the even that my support side is injured, can have one on that side to get to, and will work in appendix. But, the concept is just lost to me, maybe I am just weird like that.

Another reason is for when you need to grab & go, you automatically have a spare mag in one pkg vs using both hands (one hand for each item).

I've been a proponent for carrying a spare mag for quite a while. The reason you stated above is one of the reasons I have holsters w the spare mag option. Most days I don't carry a strong side spare, but with age and injuries, the option is great to have in the toolbox.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GNRPowdeR; 01-08-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    Okay, we all know I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. I am also sure this has been discussed, but couldn't find it. Why would you want to have a holster, with a spare magazine on it? I assume majority of educated people carry on the strong side. I get, that in the even that my support side is injured, can have one on that side to get to, and will work in appendix. But, the concept is just lost to me, maybe I am just weird like that.
    I don't think it's a good idea and would never bother with one.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Some may prefer to have gun and spare mag on one rig.
    When I carry a spare mag it’s separate so I have the option of just carrying the gun without the extra material of the holster pouch.

Some may want to carry a spare mag at all times. Some may have several holsters to do one or the other.

Having a spare mag pouch on a holster is just a option for concealed carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dont get me wrong

Don't get me wrong, I am a super strong advocate of carrying spare magazine and cartridges. That is a good point nothing else, can grab and go, I just don't see the super advantage, but what happens when old, lol.

For some folks carrying AIWB, it's the difference between carrying and concealing a magazine (or two) AIWB or behind the hip - if at all, contingent upon body realities and the cover garment in play.

I do think that a flexible bridge between magazine and holster are most desirable, if pursuing this. The PHLster Flex is a good enabling piece of gear.

I don't think it has any place for HIWB setups. Though, my work holster does have a flashlight pouch attached to it, for both general carry and grab-and-go purposes.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Apart from some special circumstances which I think @runcible is referring to . . . I'm thinking of AIWB rigs that position the spare mag well suited to offhand access for a reload . . . Not my thing but I can see the argument for that rig.

As I've commonly seen this offered at retail outlets I score it a "nope".

Attachment 33976

For "grab and go" I'd want to use a holster that I could then wear effectively. Not stuffing that much bulk IWB (pictured) or hang that much weight at one point on my belt. Plus I'd rather the spare be on the support side for access.

I'd rather put the gun and good holster in a low profile bag of some type with plenty of room for spare mags for grab and go applications.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Dunno, I wear my magazine(s) weak side. The only time I have a strong side reload is for revolvers. Other then those specialized appendix carry rigs I can't think of why you'd want it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The idea works great for an early 20th century internal security bureau with the purpose of sidearms being to shoot enemies of the state in the back of the head.

Or, an early 20th century military (particularly mounted troops) who wear their holsters cross draw, thus placing the magazine on your weak side.

Not so useful for much else.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    For some folks carrying AIWB, it's the difference between carrying and concealing a magazine (or two) AIWB or behind the hip - if at all, contingent upon body realities and the cover garment in play.
    To clarify: "...it's the difference between carrying and concealing a magazine (or two) AIWB, or having to carry them behind the hip, if at all."

I have several folks at work whom are in the 90-115lb range, and\or are built like whips - so having the magazines on the support side but butted up against the holster or in pouches that are directly-attached to the holsters becomes their least-bad option for carrying their duty loadout.

Outside of those circumstances, and specifically with holsters that carry the magazine on the strong-side or with improper orientation for preferred access and reloading; I strongly would recommend against them.
    Last edited by runcible; 01-08-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

User Tag List