Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazine next to holster

I’m not sure about the magazine pouch actually on the holster, but I think carrying an additional spare mag (already having a spare mag on the support side) forward of the holster is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    As I've commonly seen this offered at retail outlets I score it a "nope".

Attachment 33976
    This is a carryover from 20th-century military rigs. Some of them also held a cleaning rod, mag loader, sight adjustment tool, and other accoutrements all in one place.

In theory, that made it harder for the individual soldier to lose any of it, but we all know how theory works. Pretty pointless for the rest of us.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Banned
    Apart from some special circumstances which I think @runcible is referring to . . . I'm thinking of AIWB rigs that position the spare mag well suited to offhand access for a reload . . . Not my thing but I can see the argument for that rig.

Attachment 33976
    You lost me at the Velcro retention strap but that is the rig I most commonly see the open carry crowd using.

Our shield guy has a spare on his holster side. Facilitates re-holstering and doing a one-handed reload while still keeping the shield in play.

Apart from some special circumstances which I think @runcible is referring to . . . I'm thinking of AIWB rigs that position the spare mag well suited to offhand access for a reload . . . Not my thing but I can see the argument for that rig.

Attachment 33976

For "grab and go" I'd want to use a holster that I could then wear effectively. Not stuffing that much bulk IWB (pictured) or hang that much weight at one point on my belt. Plus I'd rather the spare be on the support side for access.

I'd rather put the gun and good holster in a low profile bag of some type with plenty of room for spare mags for grab and go applications.
    I have a bulldog brand holster very similar to this. It's a little bulky, but serves the purpose of a spare magazine without thinking about it.

Site Supporter
    I don't think it's a good idea and would never bother with one.
    This ^^^?

The holsters themselves are a gimmick sold to people who don’t know any better. A more common situation than you might imagine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I have a bulldog brand holster very similar to this. It's a little bulky, but serves the purpose of a spare magazine without thinking about it.
    So does a spare mag in my glove compartment but both have accessibility issues.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    How much thought does a proper magazine holder require?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This ^^^?

The holsters themselves are a gimmick sold to people who don’t know any better. A more common situation than you might imagine.
    The nylon holster being shown in this thread is not a quality, proper holster for EDC. If everyone is piling on the bus of not carrying a spare mag attached to the holster because of that holster, I'd agree...

A quality, proper holster that has a spare mag caddy attached (typically used in AIWB, but can be used as a strong side if desired) is a viable option, in my opinion.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My Tier 1 Concealed AIWB for a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS with Streamlight TLR 7 and Spare Glock 17 round magazine. The holster and pouch flex in the middle and can be separated should you want to carry just the pistol without a spare magazine. Not sure why you would, but you could...

Name:  Gen5T1.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  45.0 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List