Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: pistol-training.com 2011 Endurance Test Gun

Quote Originally Posted by JConn View Post
    Impossible, glocks are perfect. But interesting anyhow. I just seems to me like the primer pocket, or whatever you call it, would be the culprit. Perhaps its the "unsupported" chamber of glocks allowing for miniscule case expansion during firing which in turn allows for gas to escape around the primer. The world may never know.
    Gas would not be able to make it 'around' the primer. Only way gas escapes through the flash hole is if the primer blows out, which will indeed cause erosion over time. Very rare for factory ammo.

If anything, it would be the poor expansion of aluminum causes some gas to come back around the outside of the case walls and erode the slide, but this also seems very very unlikely.

Guess glock's steel just ain't what she used to be.

I reckon glock would probably blame it on lack of cleaning, somehow.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Gas would not be able to make it 'around' the primer. Only way gas escapes through the flash hole is if the primer blows out, which will indeed cause erosion over time. Very rare for factory ammo.

If anything, it would be the poor expansion of aluminum causes some gas to come back around the outside of the case walls and erode the slide, but this also seems very very unlikely.

Guess glock's steel just ain't what she used to be.

I reckon glock would probably blame it on lack of cleaning, somehow.
    Interesting. I took a look at my Glocks, my gen 3 19 (2010 vintage) seems to have a bit of erosion, where as my police trade in 17 has none. No idea of the round count on the police trade in but the 19 has approx, 10k.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

[rampant speculation] Is it possible that the poor interaction of the extractor and casing rim could cause it to be digging into the breachface at an angle that encourages the uneven wear? It's hard to pick up on the depth and texture of the erosion in a picture but it does seem to follow the shape of the rim curvature.
    [/rampant speculation]
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Gas would not be able to make it 'around' the primer. Only way gas escapes through the flash hole is if the primer blows out, which will indeed cause erosion over time.
    I don't agree with this. I have seen gas leaks (carbon/smoke tracks) coming from between the primer pocket and the primer, the primer was not blown out.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    [rampant speculation] Is it possible that the poor interaction of the extractor and casing rim could cause it to be digging into the breachface at an angle that encourages the uneven wear? It's hard to pick up on the depth and texture of the erosion in a picture but it does seem to follow the shape of the rim curvature.
    [/rampant speculation]
    Very interesting rampant speculation too.

The blog update is a good read too. I think Todd's words there very well sum up a Glock when it's performing well: "Altogether it’s an excellent example of a gun that might not feel the way I want, but it works excellently."

My first experience with a Gen 1 G17 way back around '89 I suppose; pitted it against a BHP and I went all BHP for years. I loved how they felt in the hand. It was many years later I came around to comparing function (not just reliablility - both in my experience were very reliable, but the full spectrum of carry, shooting results, maintenance, etc) and economy that impressed me from the efficiency of it all. I hope they don't completely lose all they've built.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

One thing is clear, buy more pre-2010 Glock 9's.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    One thing is clear, buy more pre-2010 Glock 9's.
    I haven't been taught that lesson yet.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I don't agree with this. I have seen gas leaks (carbon/smoke tracks) coming from between the primer pocket and the primer, the primer was not blown out.
    No kidding. was this with rifle or pistol? Any sign of over pressure?

I thought the primer would bulge, further sealing the hole, if the pressure was high but not high enough to blow out.

I am assuming this brass had been fired more than once? So it is possible for gas to escape a worn out loose primer pocket. Interesting.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Site Supporter
    was this with rifle or pistol?
    Rifle.
    Any sign of over pressure?
    No.
    I am assuming this brass had been fired more than once?
    Probably. But what's more important is the looseness of the pocket, which can be related more to the pressure of the reload rather than the number of firings.

Since Glock is not using their ultra tough tenifer finish anymore, could this be the cause? I've read on other forums, that the steel used to make the slides is actually rather soft and that the tenifer process makes the outside of the steel hard so there are no issues. Glock is no longer using tenifer, so maybe the new process doesn't make the steel slide as hard on the exterior?

Honestly, I have no idea...just throwing out ideas.

User Tag List