Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: pistol-training.com 2011 Endurance Test Gun

It makes sense. I think one of the reasons I've had such good luck with my Glocks is that I do replace the springs regularly, it just never crossed my mind that the slide lock is also one for those springs that should be considered for replacement as part of the preventive maintenance. I guess it is time to add another item to the checklist!
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    In my anecdata set, it's the most frequently broken part on a Glock I've seen. (Which is praising with faint damns, but still.)

Second most frequent, of course, would be trigger springs. As Gunsmith Bob is fond of saying, "If Glock could figure out how to make a spring, they'd really be on to something."
    I had a Gen 3 G-19 re-sprung at a GSSF match this weekend. I estimate it has around 17-18K rounds on it. All the Armorer replaced was the recoil assembly and the striker spring. I was suprised he didn't replace the trigger spring.

He also did not care for the amount of oil I was using. Much too wet for his taste.

How has the brass stacker reverse round been working out? GTG for carry?

We are diminished
    I haven't used it for carry, but it's part of my regular training mag "set" and it hasn't caused me any problems whatsoever.

We are diminished
    Another slide stop lever died. This one had less than 3,800 rounds of service before it failed. During practice tonight I suffered two premature lockbacks in one magazine's worth of shooting. Having seen this movie once before, I removed the slide and sure enough, the slide stop (slide release lever) had very little tension. Upon removing it completely from the gun, it clearly had a short (broken) spring compared to other Glock slide stops I had on hand.

When the first one broke after 17k I thought, hey, stuff happens. Springs break. Life is hard. Deal with it, replace the damn part every 15k.

When the second broke after less than 4k I thought, #$%!!!!!

I've gone back to the Vickers slide release lever. It's harder for me to reach with the Crimson Trace LG-850 installed on the gun, but I have far more confidence in its durability.

We are diminished
    Also, I did something crazy before going to the range today: I cleaned the test gun. It had gone 14,786 rounds since the last cleaning. I detail stripped the gun, cleaned everything thoroughly, performed an overdue spring replacement, and inspected all of the parts. There is surprisingly little wear internally.

Quote Originally Posted by toddg View Post
    cleaned the test gun.

how dare you, sir!?

Whoa....

How often did you have to lube the gun during the more than 14000 rounds without cleaning?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    How often did you have to lube the gun during the more than 14000 rounds without cleaning?
    Simon -- I lube the gun whenever it looks or feels dry. I don't follow any specific schedule, and candidly I don't tremendous attention to it. If I had to guess, I'd say it got lubed every 2-3k rounds. Sometimes it may have been touched up more often, sometimes less. Most often when I lube it, it's at the range. So I take off the slide, put a drop on each rail, a drop on the connector, then reassemble the gun and put a drop on the barrel at the front of the ejection port and another drop on top of the barrel at the muzzle. I've been using Militec for years and I have a lot of faith in it precisely because it does seem to enable my guns to run so well -- and so long -- between cleanings.

User Tag List