Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another old boat anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Someone on a local board has an unfired 6906 with 11 magazines but no box and is asking $725.

I do not know if that is a reasonable price as I do not keep up with them.
    That seems like top end value to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells for that, being unfired with those extras.

This 4566 is the cleanest example I've seen locally since I bought the 4506. Every other third gen. Smith I've encountered lately has been beat to hell with a serious case of holster rash. I attended a gun show at the end of the year and found what initially appeared to be a nice 645. Then, I picked it up and turned it over. The ejection port side of the slide was completed gouged up, as if it had been drug down a county road. Earlier in the year, I found an unfired Model 39, in box with two mags for somewhere around $650. It tempted me greatly until I found that four-inch, nickeled 29 at the same show, too bad I couldn't snag both.

A lot of people scoff at these S&W autos, but eventually they'll gain in collectability as everything else dries up. I remember when collectors scoffed at the Model 28 and you almost couldn't give one away. Look at what they're going for now. I'm not a serious collector, I'm really just a gatherer of cool stuff that tickles my fancy. All things considered, I was happy to find this one for $400.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 01-08-2019 at 07:56 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I could be talked into a 4586 at the right price. Of course, in 2014, that was $286. Thinking about that too much fills a gun safe with FOMO.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I could be talked into a 4586 at the right price. Of course, in 2014, that was $286. Thinking about that too much fills a gun safe with FOMO.
    You’re no longer allowed to acquire rare and/or out of production Smiths.

You know why.

In that condition I would have picked it up for $400 too. Even with those atrocious sights! (Note: I absolutely hate those express/volley ball sights) .

Nice gun, congrats on the purchase! I, too, have a soft spot for 3rd Gen Smith autos as it was my first issued auto when we transitioned from revolvers in 1990 (I was issued a 92F for SWAT but was required to carry a revolver in uniform). They are very reliable, good shooting guns.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Someone on a local board has an unfired 6906 with 11 magazines but no box and is asking $725.

I do not know if that is a reasonable price as I do not keep up with them.
    Update: The 6906 sold several hours after being posted.

AIM surplus just got police trade-in 6906's for $350. They also have 910's and 915's.

https://aimsurplus.com/smith-wesson-...eid=03feec8c0f
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

AAR: (I think that's the first time I've used that acronym as a post header. Damn, I feel tactical.)

I just completed a two hundred round session and observed the following:

Function was 100%. Nothing to report here. Ammunition was a handload consisting of a 200 grain SWC propelled by five grains of Bullseye.

Mechanical accuracy seemed to be good, as much as I could tell. (reference below)

The XS Big Dot sights SUCK big T-Rex balls. Every shot I fired, from seven yards to twenty five, was accurate enough to get the job done. It's just that i know the gun is capable of better. Slow fire from seven to fifteen yards produced a twenty four round, one hole group. When I extended the range to twenty five yards things opened up a bit, yielding results that were still serviceable but hardly exciting. Minute of meat sack accuracy out to twenty five yards, but not within my personal standards. The real difference arose when I brought the target back to seven yards and started doing speed drills. Then, things began to open up considerably. I found the lack of a front post/rear notch combo to be a big hindrance. Not having the ability to track the former back down into the latter during recoil caused my grouping to open up considerably. I conduct most of my speed drills from seven to ten yards. The goal is to keep all rounds within a six inch circle (roughly the size of a B8 center) regardless of the drill. Some drills, such as the Garcia and Dot Torture drills are conducted closer in, but seven to ten is the average distance. The absence of a clearly defined sight picture produced results within the eight inch range. I can see the use for such a sight at near contact distance, or for use by a shooter with vision impairment. However, this express style sighting system on a handgun nearly eliminates the ability to align the sights in a definitive orientation, from side to side, top to bottom, etc. It makes accuracy less repeatable and introduces more luck into the equation than I'm comfortable with. I'm sure I could master it if I put the work in, but the juice isn't worth the squeeze. They'll be replaced.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 01-10-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Much better.

Always loved those old Novak sights. Just had to black out the white Dots.

My 645's bushing shot loose but didn't effect accuracy. I was at the S&W Academy in the early 90's and for no charge they detailed dissembled the gun, cleaned, tightened the bushing and replaced the abortion ambi Safety with the bolt on right hand lever with a true 3rd Gen System. No cost to me.

Fast Forward to the mid 2000's when I was at a IDPA match and had a squib round mid string. My electronic Ear Muffs had failed earlier in the match so with my bag hearing I didn't register it as a squib, Tap and Racked faster then the RSO could stop me and sent another round down the pipe. The result was 2 rounds in the bull and the slide locked back on a bulged barrel. Bought another barrel from Numrich, dropped it in with no fitting and away I went with no noticeable loss in accuracy.

Love those guns. If S&W still supported them I would pick up a 59XX series gun as my gamer IDPA gun.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

User Tag List