Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another old boat anchor.

Another old boat anchor.

This afternoon while on my way home from the range, I decided to stop by a couple of the pawnshops on the route and found this.

A Smith & Wesson 4566.

I don't go into this shop often as it's a bit of a hole in the wall with the usual stereotypes behind the counter. Example: when I asked if i could examine the gun, the young man behind the counter replied, "Copy that sir." I thought, "Great, we're heading into tactard time." Fortunately that was the extent of the operatorfu. Most of their offerings sported the typical overly optimistic pawnshop price tags. Like the rashed up Colt Python for 3k, because ya know "They're a Colt and hard to find." They're about as hard to find as a spray tan on the Commander of Cheese.

Consequently, I was pleased to see a price of $450. Overall the gun seemed pretty solid. A few scuffs and buffs from holster wear but otherwise in pretty good condition. There are a few small pits on the ejection port side of the slide that look like the remains of some light corrosion. A previous owner had taken some steel wool or abrasive paper of some kind and went to town on it, rubbing in all directions. Fortunately, the worthy didn't manage to round down any edges so a few minutes with a grey scothbrite pad and some Ballistol fixed that right up. The Hoque grips were included so that was a plus. I find rubber grips as aethetically pleasing as a Baboon's backside, but they are necessary on these pistols. Otherwise, my big mits can't get a good purchase on the narrow frame.

The proprietor was kind enough to lay out a mat on the counter so I could disassemble if desired. I didn't ask for that and was pleasantly surprised when it was offered. I obliged and found the internals to be in good shape. I'm sure it's an old cops gun, so it was likely carried more than shot. The internal condition seems to confirm that. The trigger is better than expected, with a nice smooth DA pull and a pretty light SA break. The trigger on my 4506 is pretty decent, this one is better. The sights are aftermarket express style affairs that I've never cared for on a handgun. If I'm creeping through the brush on the dark continent after Cape Buffalo they're good on a rifle, not so much on a pistol.

I'll give them a try, but I foresee changing them to more conventional sights. We agreed on a price of $400.00 and I couldn't leave it lay. After a strategic reconnaissance, in the form of a text message to Mrs. Awesome, I was the new owner of what the proprietor called a "vintage" pistol. I remember when these were the new hotness, so I guess that makes me vintage as well. These old Smiths seem to be a love hate affair. I happen to be in the former camp, at least with the 45XX and 10XX series guns. Yes, they're obsolete in the respect that they're massive, heavy and low capacity. On the other hand, I find them to be very reliable and accurate. They're also pretty soft shooting for a half ninety bored gun and they appeal to me on a very visceral level. Every time I pick one up I'm reminded of days long gone, when I was much younger and far less jaded. When I have one of these massive steel pistols in hand, somewhere in my mind a voice tells me, "That's a real fightin' gun boy." It's hardly logical, sensible or practical, but it's there none the less. They're also some of the most under valued handguns currently on the market.

I think a pattern may be forming.

My current status as a man of leisure may get pretty expensive.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

$400...that isn't all that bad for one of those.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Those are cool guns. Don't blame you for pouncing on it.

Well written post, BTW. Very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Those are cool guns. Don't blame you for pouncing on it.

Well written post, BTW. Very entertaining.
    Thanks. Some say I'm a wordsmith. My wife just says I'm full of shit.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Looks like my old issued duty gun. It had a great DA pull as well. Mine had Novak night sights though.

Site Supporter
    At $400, they're hard to leave on the counter.

Clean looking. I love it; congrats on the find. I’d leave the sights alone; they’re part of the zeitgeist. Plus, fuck it, you’re not getting any younger. Someday, you may be glad to have the gun, as is.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I love me some Smith 3rd gens and Ruger P-series. I'm kind of a gun hipster that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Copy that, nice find! Smith of the good old days FTW.

Great snag! I keep contemplating a 4566 or a 4506. Then the 1911's in the safe give me hurtful looks, and you know the rest.

Do you already have a good supply of mags?

User Tag List