Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SUV/Truck RFI

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    @JV_ beat me to it, but I'll also throw in an endorsement for the Honda Ridgeline. I'm in a '17 (first year of the second generation) and, well... it's basically the apotheosis of the Subaru Baja. Usable seating for four adults, 5,000lb towing capacity, 5' bed. Also, the trunk makes an excellent smuggling compartment for range gear and long guns.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Inexplicable double-tap. I blame mechanical failure.
    Last edited by Notorious E.O.C.; 01-08-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

I'm on my fifth Toyota (3 Tacoma's, 2 4Runner's), and I couldn't be happier from start to finish. In my experience, nothing is as easy to own and dead nuts reliable as a Toyota truck.

I believe the new Tacoma can be had under 30k new, and tows more than the newer 5th gen 4Runner (5000lbs). IMO, trucks and SUV's must have two things, body on frame construction and 4WD.

I've simplified my auto shopping. If I need a new.....

Light duty truck = Tacoma
    Medium duty truck = Tundra
    Heavy duty truck to pull a house = F350 Dually
    Family fun wagon = 4Runner

The only thing I bother to shop anymore are auto loan rates.
    Last edited by StraitR; 01-08-2019 at 09:42 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I'm on my fifth Toyota (3 Tacoma's, 2 4Runner's), and I couldn't be happier from start to finish. In my experience, nothing is as easy to own and dead nuts reliable as a Toyota truck.

I believe the new Tacoma can be had under 30k new, and tows more than the newer 5th gen 4Runner (5000lbs). IMO, trucks and SUV's must have two things, body on frame construction and 4WD.

I've simplified my auto shopping. If I need a new.....

Light duty truck = Tacoma
    Medium duty truck = Tundra
    Heavy duty truck to pull a house = F350 Dually
    Family fun wagon = 4Runner

The only thing I bother to shop anymore are auto loan rates.

I was eyeing used Tundras and Tacos on carmax last night. For roughly what I paid for my mom car I could have gotten a '08 Tundra SR5 with like 50k? miles on it.

The regret was strong

Site Supporter
    Okie, if you want a truck the there are a lot of capable pickups that can be had for under $30k. I've been eyeballing several on Autotrader and Carmax (all Colorado, Ram 1500, F150, and Tundra Crew Cab/4x4 models) with under 50k miles and for under $30k.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Honestly I would go with a FWD or FWD based AWD SUV. Personally I've found it's more convenient to pay for the occasional delivery of landscaping supplies and let someone else do the bulk of the heavy lifting. Last time I bough mulch, I bought bagged mulch at Lowes, it was about twice the price of bulk, but Lowes dropped it on a pallet in my driveway. I got a lot more done in the same time, and didn't feel like I got my ass kicked moving bags of mulch.
    You are 100% on the money there. I wanted a truck to replace my Crown Vic and settled for an Explorer. I did exactly that when I needed 3 yards of mulch and 2 pallets of retention wall block delivered. When I had to get furniture for our new nursery, Uhaul rented me a pretty capable Ford Transit for cheap. When I had a load of crap that I would have hauled to the dump, a Waste Management Bagster had it all taken care of for less than $150. The delivery costs and rentals added up to much less than the extra fuel/maintenance/insurance on a pickup truck.

That said, as the owner of a FWD "SUV" (2011 Explorer), I won't make that mistake again. I'm either going back to a V8/RWD sedan (Helllloooooo Charger Daytona) or a pickup/pickup-based SUV (F150, Tundra, 4Runner, Tahoe/Suburban). The crossover is just not right for me and what I want out of a vehicle going forward. The Explorer has been capable (bugged out for Irma, towed a 5x8 Uhaul trailer full of all of my guns, ammo, and a bunch of household stuff 1700 with no complaints when we moved), but if I had to do it all over again I would 100% not get the same vehicle I got.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    I'd check out the Honda Ridgeline.
    As much as I want to chuckle at the thought of a minivan based "truck", the Ridgelines are pretty decent and (if I am 100% honest about my needs) are capable enough for about 99% of what I'd use a truck for until I convince the wife to get a camper. Having ridden in a couple first gen ones, I probably would have been a buyer if the right one came up when I was shopping for cars.
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 01-08-2019 at 10:59 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    That said, as the owner of a FWD "SUV" (2011 Explorer), I won't make that mistake again. I'm either going back to a V8/RWD sedan (Helllloooooo Charger Daytona) or a pickup/pickup-based SUV (F150, Tundra, 4Runner, Tahoe/Suburban). The crossover is just not right for me and what I want out of a vehicle going forward. The Explorer has been capable (bugged out for Irma, towed a 5x8 Uhaul trailer full of all of my guns, ammo, and a bunch of household stuff 1700 with no complaints when we moved), but if I had to do it all over again I would 100% not get the same vehicle I got.
    I have an AWD CUV (CX-5) and I agree 100%. Personally I wish I had gone with either a wagon/hatchback (though admittedly few high quality/durable ones in current production) or a true body on frame SUV or pickup. Split the difference and regret it. If I could go back again, I'd probably get an older/higher mileage Tacoma or Tundra. 4Runners seem extremely overpriced in my area (even relative to the already inflated value of all pickups/SUVs)

edit: my fiscally responsible hindsight says I should have gotten a Mazda 3 hatch
    Last edited by Nephrology; 01-08-2019 at 11:06 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I have an AWD CUV (CX-5) and I agree 100%. Personally I wish I had gone with either a wagon/hatchback (though admittedly few high quality/durable ones in current production) or a true body on frame SUV or pickup. Split the difference and regret it. If I could go back again, I'd probably get an older/higher mileage Tacoma or Tundra. 4Runners seem extremely overpriced in my area (even relative to the already inflated value of all pickups/SUVs)

edit: my fiscally responsible hindsight says I should have gotten a Mazda 3 hatch
    4Runners and Tacos seem overpriced in most areas it seems. But the damn things last forever.

As to your last point, funny you mention that. I was just looking at some Mazda 3 and similar hatches tonight. My Explorer started giving me more troubles and I’m thinking it is about time to start looking to part ways. Since my next commute might be a 90 mile a day thing, I’m thinking something a tad more economical . . . though the little guy on my shoulder keeps pointing me towards 2014 WRX hatches. Little bastage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

4Runners and Tacos seem overpriced in most areas it seems. But the damn things last forever.

As to your last point, funny you mention that. I was just looking at some Mazda 3 and similar hatches tonight. My Explorer started giving me more troubles and I’m thinking it is about time to start looking to part ways. Since my next commute might be a 90 mile a day thing, I’m thinking something a tad more economical . . . though the little guy on my shoulder keeps pointing me towards 2014 WRX hatches. Little bastage.

Corolla hatchback is what I would've gotten when I got my car this past summer had they been out/I had the cash for a new vehicle.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

We’re on our second 4Runner (first one was totaled). We bought new because it wasn’t that much more than buying one a year or two old. The plan is to drive it til the wheels fall off anyway, so I like to think I bought myself that much more life out of it.

Site Supporter
    We have an 18 year old Tacoma and 17 year old 4Runner, both bought new. Neither has had a repair other than brakes or AC in the Tacoma's case. If you live on west side of Washington state, you might find lower prices on the eastern side. That was my late brother's experience.

User Tag List