Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: SUV/Truck RFI

HAd 7-8 hours spent in the truck over Wed-Fri. Lots of time to deal with parking by 1500 Ram crew cab, and then also alone time to ruminate. Got started thinking about being tired of parking the truck in a world that's not meant for it. Got thinking that I didn't want to give up the elevated driving position, or at least somewhat so of one. Got started thinking about how often I just run shit over rather than go around because:truck. Made me start thinking a hard-top. Wrangler Unlimited with the roof insulation add-on might not be such a bad Urban vehicle.

Then I priced up a new Saharra and got it up to $52k!

Then I read that the turning radius is 20.4 ft! Almost a foot more than the wife's Honda Pilot!

Guess the Wrangler Unlimited isn't gonna work for that after all.

ETA:
    Even the 4Runner bests it by nearly 2 ft!
    Last edited by rob_s; 01-20-2019 at 01:44 PM.

I’ve decided a 2 door Wrangler would be my urban 4x4, probably a TJ/LJ like we currently have. My truck has a 23.5’ turning radius and the Jeep just under 17’. The tighter turning radius and general smaller size of the Jeep is very evident especially in parking lots and garages. We’ve been driving the Jeep anytime we expect tight spaces

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Then I read that the turning radius is 20.4 ft! Almost a foot more than the wife's Honda Pilot!

Guess the Wrangler Unlimited isn't gonna work for that after all.
    It won't. Add bad visibility (I prefer to leave the back seats down) and you have a vehicle which is a PITA to park.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I’ve decided a 2 door Wrangler would be my urban 4x4, probably a TJ/LJ like we currently have. My truck has a 23.5’ turning radius and the Jeep just under 17’. The tighter turning radius and general smaller size of the Jeep is very evident especially in parking lots and garages. We’ve been driving the Jeep anytime we expect tight spaces
    I've had an XJ and an LJ along with the current JKU. The LJ's the sweet spot, imo (though the XJ is like cheating for parallel parking, and has the best seats). It has a better tow rating, which makes the trailer for 4 x 8 whatevers and other stuff more viable. When my truck dies, I'll be looking for another LJ and a trailer.

HAd 7-8 hours spent in the truck over Wed-Fri. Lots of time to deal with parking by 1500 Ram crew cab, and then also alone time to ruminate.
    Made me start thinking a hard-top. Wrangler Unlimited with the roof insulation add-on might not be such a bad Urban vehicle.
    Then I read that the turning radius is 20.4 ft!
    This caused me to go actually look up what my truck requires. I always knew it was a PITA, but damn...
    Name:  F-150 163in TurningRad.JPG
Views: 333
Size:  29.8 KB

Its funny, I was thinking the same thing. Was wanting to move toward something smaller that fits in spaces better. But had to make a long drive in this recent snowstorm where there are three lanes each way. There was a plow truck in the middle and a car holding up traffic in the right lane driving real slow with flashers on. So I decided to try the left lane even though it wasn't plowed and did ok until we started up hill and I had forgot to turn off cruise control so a back wheel slopped and the cruise control gave more gas and it started spinning more until I tapped the brakes to disable the cruise. But what surprised me was how stable my truck was, it kept going perfectly straight. The advantage of long wheelbase really shows here. My wife's front wheel drive CUV for comparison will spin the wheels easily and slide the opposite direction of what your trying to steer, its quite unstable. So now I wonder if its worth it to find a smaller truck or I should just trade my extended cab for a full 4 door cab.
    Last edited by Eugene; 01-20-2019 at 09:54 PM.

I have a 20O8 RAV4. AWD with the RAV’s 4 wheel lock feature is pretty much all I need for my Pacific Northwest life. Lots of room for the family. High enough ground clearance to get to the range. Folding seats allow space for most any reasonable load. The 4CYL is plenty peppy at higher RPM’s for highway driving and it gets reasonable mileage around town.

I am upgrading it with a Bluetooth stereo and a back-up camera, but I plan on driving it until it dies.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Unfortunately I can't do a 2-door at this point in my life, maybe ever again. Although I do keep thinking my next car will be a Mustang, so maybe a 2-door jeep isn't all that bad...

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    It won't. Add bad visibility (I prefer to leave the back seats down) and you have a vehicle which is a PITA to park.

I've had an XJ and an LJ along with the current JKU. The LJ's the sweet spot, imo (though the XJ is like cheating for parallel parking, and has the best seats). It has a better tow rating, which makes the trailer for 4 x 8 whatevers and other stuff more viable. When my truck dies, I'll be looking for another LJ and a trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    This caused me to go actually look up what my truck requires. I always knew it was a PITA, but damn...
    Name:  F-150 163in TurningRad.JPG
Views: 333
Size:  29.8 KB
    All of the above keeps me coming back to this being the ideal urban SUV
    https://www.osteenvolvo.com/new/Volv...5c888ddaf4.htm

What does the Volvo wagon offer that an Outback doesn’t? I sold my Outback because it had no soul but the functionality of it was never questioned.

What does the Volvo wagon offer that an Outback doesn’t? I sold my Outback because it had no soul but the functionality of it was never questioned.
    besides not being a Subaru?

https://www.asburyauto.com/compare/2...outback/154359

and here's the opposing point of view which uses a lesser model, and makes some pretty disingenuous leaps and assumptions, which doesn't reflect well on their position
    https://www.atlanticsubaru.com/compa...-volvo-v90.htm

For me, it's a higher level of pride of ownership, a greater level of luxury, and some minor hard-data features that the V90 has over the competition, not least of which is more get-up-and-go with the V90 T6.

not least of which is more get-up-and-go
    I have been very pleased with my Focus ST, and they are doing an Edge ST
    https://www.ford.com/suvs-crossovers...190121124642:s
    and getting ready to do an Explorer ST
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...e-future-cars/

User Tag List