Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Truck Bed Vaults - RFI

Truck Bed Vaults - RFI

Morning All,

I'm now in need of a locking container for the bed of a pickup. I'm a little familiar with the Truckvault brand as our agency has used them in the past. I stumbled across the ARE version, and I've also seen Tuffy Products lock boxes (but not their truck bed product) installed in other work vehicles. I know most advertise being able to support 2000 pounds. Has anyone seen those claims not met? There will be a cover on the bed, but I'm still wondering if anyone has had leakage problems with any of these brands. Any durability issues with the drawers or anything else? Problems with the locking mechanisms? Anything you wish you'd known before getting one?

Please save any recommendations for other types of locking boxes, and save the "don't leave a gun in a car" lectures. What I'm looking for is actual experiences - good or bad - with any of the following bed vaults. Also, if you have another brand with a like product that I haven't listed, please share those experiences as well.

Thanks!

http://www.truckvault.com/Products/B...TruckVault.php

http://www.4are.com/product/pickup_vault/

https://www.pro.tuffyproducts.com/p-...y-drawers.aspx

Site Supporter
    I'd call Highway Products and get a quote from them.

https://www.highwayproducts.com/

Talk to a Customer Service and Tell them what you want and they'll work up a quote. My truck boxes I got from them and it was comparable to truckvault.

I have had the truck vault version for two years now, but in a Ford Expedition, not out in weather in the bed of a truck. More than pleased with it. Mine has the simplex lock and the only quirk on the whole thing is the simplex lock does not work well with the drawer closed either fully forward or fully rearward to the point it puts pressure on the bolt. I have to make sure the the drawer is not pressed all the way to the rear or all the way forward to where the strike bezel in the upper part is not putting lateral pressure on the bolt or else the simplex lock will not operate. When the bolt is clear or at least not under pressure, it operates perfectly.

Aside from the stablizing straps necessary to keep it from tipping when fully open and loaded, I chained mine to the frame too.

My main driver for getting this thing was competition related, I shoot the cowboy sports, NCOWS and SASS, it has been great for hauling all that stuff around. I wish I had owned one back in the days when I was a 3-gunner.
    Last edited by fatdog; 04-24-2017 at 12:48 PM.

I know this is not exactly what you asked, but I have been planning to put something like this across the front of the bed:
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 508
Size:  29.8 KB
    They make one that is 60" wide by 18x18. The floor drawer units either seem to be huge bucks or really not much of a "vault" or very waterproof. I am sure they are fine, just never identified one that I thought was worth the harsh cost.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have had the truck vault version for two years now, but in a Ford Expedition, not out in weather in the bed of a truck. More than pleased with it. Mine has the simplex lock and the only quirk on the whole thing is the simplex lock does not work well with the drawer closed either fully forward or fully rearward to the point it puts pressure on the bolt. I have to make sure the the drawer is not pressed all the way to the rear or all the way forward to where the strike bezel in the upper part is not putting lateral pressure on the bolt or else the simplex lock will not operate. When the bolt is clear or at least not under pressure, it operates perfectly.

Aside from the stablizing straps necessary to keep it from tipping when fully open and loaded, I chained mine to the frame too.

My main driver for getting this thing was competition related, I shoot the cowboy sports, NCOWS and SASS, it has been great for hauling all that stuff around. I wish I had owned one back in the days when I was a 3-gunner.
    Yea, I am doing more classes and matches that are not local so the extra measure of protection is nice. I made the mistake of buying an SUV several years ago with an internal spare tire. The work-arounds for gun boxes in that situation are more pain than they are worth for me.

I do recall one of my coworkers having a Truckvault that had lock issues. I'm hoping maybe ARE dealers will do a package deal and save me on the vault and the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I'd call Highway Products and get a quote from them.

https://www.highwayproducts.com/

Talk to a Customer Service and Tell them what you want and they'll work up a quote. My truck boxes I got from them and it was comparable to truckvault.
    Nice! I'll check them out - thanks!

I have no experience (or relationship) with this vendor, but have seen them at shows and they appeared to be of good quality:

www.mobilestrong.net

Quote Originally Posted by smithjd View Post
    I have no experience (or relationship) with this vendor, but have seen them at shows and they appeared to be of good quality:

www.mobilestrong.net
    Thanks - I'll take a look!

Site Supporter
    We've had some of the TruckVault one drawer versions under hard bed covers no leakage issues but it pretty much precluded you from using the bed for anything else as they don't cover the whole floor.

We still use Truck Vaults in SUV's. For pickups, we've moved to diamond plate tool boxes with stronger attachments and the lids wired into the vehicles alarm system.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    We've had some of the TruckVault one drawer versions under hard bed covers no leakage issues but it pretty much precluded you from using the bed for anything else as they don't cover the whole floor.

We still use Truck Vaults in SUV's. For pickups, we've moved to diamond plate tool boxes with stronger attachments and the lids wired into the vehicles alarm system.
    Yea I'll be giving up something with the drawer system. But I want to be able to access my stuff while standing at the rear of the truck. I'm too old and my back too screwed up to be climbing into the bed to retrieve stuff. Besides it also means that I can legitimately say no when some acquaintance asks me to help move his fridge, washer, sod, etc. lol!

After mind numbing research I'm thinking about a lock box that only takes one side of the bed. Something like this: http://shop-truck-tool-box-com.3dcar...16H_p_32.html#

Is there a consensus on which side of the bed is best? I recall BMW does (did?) install the battery in the right rear of the trunk because it's better to have the weight over the drive wheel. Is that still a thing? On pickups isn't the right rear still the main drive wheel when operating in 2 wheel drive?

Or does it not really matter and I can have it installed on either side without issue? Thanks!

User Tag List