Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SUV/Truck RFI

SUV/Truck RFI

I need to buy a vehicle in the next couple of weeks.

I live in the Pacific Northwest. Lots of rain but only occasional snow. I’d like 4WD to be on the safe side. I rarely if ever drive at elevations above 5,000 feet, and below 3,500 is much more like it. Definitely need ability to pull a smaller utility trailer, but nothing much bigger.

Just bought a house and have a major landscaping honey-do coming up in the spring, so I’m thinking of a short-bed pickup or an SUV. I’ve had great luck with Jeep, Volvo, VW, and Toyota products in the past.

I expect mostly city and highway miles, with some use on wet logging roads but very little true off-road use.

I’m 5’9”, so a Tacoma could work.

Budget is ideally under $30k, so it has to be used.

What do we think?

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Just bought a house and have a major landscaping honey-do coming up in the spring, so I’m thinking of a short-bed pickup or an SUV. I’ve had great luck with Jeep, Volvo, VW, and Toyota products in the past.
    I drive an Outback and like it a lot. It will eventually be sold because it isn't German, but I do recognize that it's very good at what I need to do with a vehicle -- get around reliably in most weather and haul medium stuff. I would say it's as good as any SUV for that. They also hold value really, really well -- probably better in the PNW.

However, if you're worried about honeydos, buy a truck. A bed that can be hosed out seems essential for those tasks.

As the bed heights of trucks get higher, floor and sides, they really aren't all that use friendly for getting stuff in and of the bed.

Part time 4wd in trucks doesn't provide much if any safety. More often than no it'll just propel you in the wrong direction a little faster, or lock up your steering if you get to a dry spot in the road.

Have you done a cost benefit analysis of owning a truck all the time, versus the cost of renting a truck or delivery for the times that you actually need a truck.

edited: Honestly I would go with a FWD or FWD based AWD SUV. Personally I've found it's more convenient to pay for the occasional delivery of landscaping supplies and let someone else do the bulk of the heavy lifting. Last time I bough mulch, I bought bagged mulch at Lowes, it was about twice the price of bulk, but Lowes dropped it on a pallet in my driveway. I got a lot more done in the same time, and didn't feel like I got my ass kicked moving bags of mulch.
    Last edited by txdpd; 01-07-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    I'd check out the Honda Ridgeline.

Depending on if you like to keep a vehicle until it dies, trade regularly, and if you do or do not enjoy doing your own maintenance, there are a few different paths you could take.

Personally, it's hard to be the low depreciation, reliability, and utility of a 2nd or used 3rd gen Tacoma. They can't tow huge loads and they don't get stellar mileage, but they can do the trick with little fuss. If your desires change and you want to offload it, you'll get most of your original investment back at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Have you done a cost benefit analysis of owning a truck all the time, versus the cost of renting a truck or delivery for the times that you actually need a truck.
    No--but I will now.

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I drive an Outback and like it a lot. It will eventually be sold because it isn't German, but I do recognize that it's very good at what I need to do with a vehicle -- get around reliably in most weather and haul medium stuff. I would say it's as good as any SUV for that. They also hold value really, really well -- probably better in the PNW.

However, if you're worried about honeydos, buy a truck. A bed that can be hosed out seems essential for those tasks.
    I'm hoping this Subaru Ascent based pickup truck will come to fruition. But it won't help Okie now.

Attachment 33940
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter

What JAD said.

NB: The 3.6L (non-gutless) Outback will tow 3600. That is a perfectly reasonable flatbed or 6' box that you can pick up for nuttin' at UHaul, and will go git anything that needs gotten. I express this as theory rather than practice.

if you're worried about honeydos, buy a truck. A bed that can be hosed out seems essential for those tasks.
    We have had several SUVs, including three Suburbans. I loved them when I had them, but after 4-5 years with a regular truck I am a convert. Are passengers part of the picture? If not, you can probably get a new basic trim regular cab truck and squeak into your budget. Maybe...

ETA: I thought this thread ended up with a lotta good stuff in it:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ut-appreciated
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-07-2019 at 05:39 PM.

User Tag List