Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: SUV/Truck RFI

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Saw an Edge ST on the commute in this morning. All I could think was "sucker!"
    I would probably still buy one, just because it isn't faster doesn't make it slow
    And the extra torque would probably make it more fun. Actually, I have started to back off a little on some of my prior focus on numbers in comparison. All of the comparisons like the GTI better than my car and it typically turns in some better numbers, but my buddy sells Fords, and I have enjoyed the shit out of my car. So far the number of times that I have lined up next to a GTI and raced form a dead stop is none, and every other old fart my age that doesn't have a Corvette or Mustang or 3-Series has a GTI. If I was going to do autocross of track days maybe it would matter.

But that used Sport you found sure seems like a smoking deal!
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-23-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    I don't see any luxury/european car as a 100k+ car. I'm not even sure I see them as a 50k+ car.
    I have a 2006 BMW X5 going strong with 180000 miles and counting

Realizing I've hijacked the shit out of this at this point...

nobody should be surprised to know that I'm a data junkie, so I started looking into a few things. Turns out, surprisingly, that the Dodge Durango has one of the tightest turning diameters of any SUV I looked at, coming in at 37.1ft. Certainly not "tight", but tighter even than the Macan. Somehow it's longer than it's cousin the Grand Cherokee (189.8 vs 201.2) but has a tighter reported turning diameter.

So I heard about the Lexus RS 450h F Sport, and thought "wow! this should be a great sporty small SUV, and also legally get me into the HOV lane!"

Then I saw the 0-60 of 7.9 seconds. Blech. That's slower than my Ram!

I was under the impression that "F Sport" from Lexus meant something pretty good, but evidently not, or not always.

And the styling of this thing is NASTY!

I picked up my 4Runner TRD Pro on Saturday and so far I couldn't be happier. It is a little bit of an adjustment coming from a VW GTI, but I definitely couldn't go back.

The only thing that kinda bugs me is the chrome 4Runner logo on the rear since there isn't any other chrome on the truck, but that will be fixed this weekend.

Name:  TRD PRO.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  50.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I drive an Outback and like it a lot. It will eventually be sold because it isn't German, but I do recognize that it's very good at what I need to do with a vehicle -- get around reliably in most weather and haul medium stuff. I would say it's as good as any SUV for that. They also hold value really, really well -- probably better in the PNW.

However, if you're worried about honeydos, buy a truck. A bed that can be hosed out seems essential for those tasks.
    I bought a gently used Outback at the end of the year, and am super happy with it. I was looking at all of the Japanese SUVs as options because hauling doggos and kids and project stuff was all on the bill. The Outback has more useable cargo space than anything but the largest models, gets way better fuel economy AND I could actually find one in a proper manual transmission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I picked up my 4Runner TRD Pro on Saturday and so far I couldn't be happier. It is a little bit of an adjustment coming from a VW GTI, but I definitely couldn't go back.

The only thing that kinda bugs me is the chrome 4Runner logo on the rear since there isn't any other chrome on the truck, but that will be fixed this weekend.

Name:  TRD PRO.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  50.8 KB
    Nice!

We may default to the same, or similar solution, after much looking at larger SUVs, and even some RVs. There is something so very practical about the 4Runner.

We will, however, probably keep my 2-door V6 2014 Tundra forever.

Site Supporter
    I am thinking about replacing my high mileage BMW X5. This thread has me considering Subaru Outback 3.6 or 2015-2018 Subaru Forester with 2.0 Turbo - thinking the 3.6 or Turbo as I still have the need for speed. Need a multipurpose vehicle for commuting, bad weather in NW GA, and toting stuff to the gun range.

going just off of online specs, the 4Runner seems to have an insanely small back seat at only 32.9" of legroom for a 190" of OAL.

the Grand Cherokee at a nearly identical OAL but with 5 more inches of wheelbase picks up almost 6 more inches of rear seat legroom.

For the 4Runner guys, does that seem right? Is the rear seat that cramped?

going just off of online specs, the 4Runner seems to have an insanely small back seat at only 32.9" of legroom for a 190" of OAL.

the Grand Cherokee at a nearly identical OAL but with 5 more inches of wheelbase picks up almost 6 more inches of rear seat legroom.

For the 4Runner guys, does that seem right? Is the rear seat that cramped?
    The backseat doesn't seem cramped at all to me. I'm 6'2 and can sit behind the driver seat adjusted to my normal driving position comfortably.

User Tag List