Thread: Scoping an AR with a Front Sight (Warning: Dumb Question)

Site Supporter

Scoping an AR with a Front Sight (Warning: Dumb Question)

I've been thinking about getting another upper for my A2-style AR so I can put either a scope or a red dot on it. Money is an issue, so I was considering one of the PSA A4-style uppers which come with front sights rather than gas blocks even though the upper receiver is a flat top. How do you mount a scope so the front sight isn't in the way?

If the front sight is there - that’s where it will be.

Cool for a dot if you like irons up. Not so cool for LPVO imo

I typically don’t notice it. I only have a little experience with an LPVO and FSP but it was the same to me as an ACOG and FSP, which I have a lot of time on. It’s almost like a rear iron sight - there if you look at it but mostly blurry and not hard to ignore if you choose to. My $199 PSA beater upper with much more expensive LPVO and mount combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The front sight disappears with magnification. On 1x it's a giant triangle eating up your sight picture. On 1.5 it's a faint blur (still annoying), on 2x it's pretty much gone.

Although the front sight "disappears" at higher magnifications, it still blocks the optic and negatively affects the field of view. The good news is, it's easy to shave the FSB.

We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I typically don’t notice it. I only have a little experience with an LPVO and FSP but it was the same to me as an ACOG and FSP, which I have a lot of time on. It’s almost like a rear iron sight - there if you look at it but mostly blurry and not hard to ignore if you choose to. My $199 PSA beater upper with much more expensive LPVO and mount combo.

A Geissele mount and a Steiner on a beater upper? Dude, that's like $5K worth of tires and rims on a $1500 whooptie ride!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    A Geissele mount and a Steiner on a beater upper? Dude, that's like $5K worth of tires and rims on a $1500 whooptie ride!
    Haha I know, that lower is pretty tricked out too. It was only for a few weeks until my URGI came in, but then I bought a Razor for it so that Steiner May very well go back on the same upper. It was funny to tell people that the mount alone cost more than the upper.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    No, it's like spending $5000 on lockers, lower gears, lift kit and bigger tires for a $1500 Cherokee.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-09-2019 at 10:47 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    You can mount a scope on the carry handle using a mount that has a hole through the middle to use the iron sights, and a rail on top for the scope. The mount has a screw that goes through the hole in the center of the carry handle. The only problem is you may not care for the resulting head position. It will be higher and farther back.

This is s lot cheaper than a new upper, but would prove more expensive if you decide on the new upper after trying this mount.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List