Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pretty sure I have been gripping too hard

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In the weeks since I started this thread, I continue to associate my best shooting with less squeezing of my fingers and more fore aft application of pressure.
    GJM,
    I've been through TPC and apply their grip fundamentals. In relation to what you are saying here with squeezing your fingers less, are you referring too -

The strong hand C-Clamp or the support hand rear quartering?

Something Rossen (TPC instructor and CZ pro) told me about the support hand rear quartering is that he imagines he is trying to crack a walnut in between the base of his thumbs.

My current perception of what you are saying is that your C-clamp is lighter in tension and your rear quartering palm thumb bases are cracking peanut shells instead of Walnuts.

JM

Quote Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
    GJM,
    I've been through TPC and apply their grip fundamentals. In relation to what you are saying here with squeezing your fingers less, are you referring too -

The strong hand C-Clamp or the support hand rear quartering?

Something Rossen (TPC instructor and CZ pro) told me about the support hand rear quartering is that he imagines he is trying to crack a walnut in between the base of his thumbs.

My current perception of what you are saying is that your C-clamp is lighter in tension and your rear quartering palm thumb bases are cracking peanut shells instead of Walnuts.

JM
    Less pressure with only my finger tips.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Strong hand or support hand finger tips!?

Again another TPC experience here - from their instructor JoAnn. She said I was squeezing my support hand finger tips too hard - evidence of the fact is that I had to put tape around my strong hand middle finger because the friction from my support hand fingers was removing skin.

I also experiment with holding the strong hand C-clamp like my finger tips were cut off and do not exist.

Strong hand finger tips, support hand fingers tips or both - in your case?

JM

Quote Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
    Strong hand or support hand finger tips!?

Again another TPC experience here - from their instructor JoAnn. She said I was squeezing my support hand finger tips too hard - evidence of the fact is that I had to put tape around my strong hand middle finger because the friction from my support hand fingers was removing skin.

I also experiment with holding the strong hand C-clamp like my finger tips were cut off and do not exist.

Strong hand finger tips, support hand fingers tips or both - in your case?

JM
    Both.

I am applying pressure firmly with a C clamp with my strong hand, with my suppport hand on the front strap, and the wedging against the quarter panel with my support hand.

This is likely to vary by person and platform, so don’t think what I am doing necessarily will work for you. The surprise for me, is I always assumed more was better, and it turned out not to be for me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Grip type and amount are so varying from person to person and skill level to skill level.
    As a coach, I make sure I see what works for this kid vs kid and try not to apply a blanket technique for everyone.
    About 3k rounds into last year, I found that a my grip was on the very strong side but my follow up shots were faster.
    Also, it was what was working for me at the time. I went to a class and the instructor said - watch me shoot with just my index finger and thumb.
    Cool demo and the new shooters were like wow you are amazing, I went back to my strong grip and shot better than everyone there.
    I have relaxed a bit for but it is fun working on varying grips and stances to increase speed and balance accuracy.
    Enjoy
    Criz
    Buy Nice or Buy Twice!

I think this is the key point. It's not so much squeezing less hard - it's applying pressure with only the parts of the hand that is necessary, and no more. NOT involving the finger TIPS in turn isolates the trigger press. Involving the finger tips in your grip sympathetically involves the trigger finger and in turn the trigger press, leading to less dexterity in your trigger finger. The fore to aft formation in your grip isolates the trigger press by involving only what is necessary.

I think this is what TPC means by isolating the trigger press.

We in turn can then apply the nutcracker technique by then thinking of the "fore" part of the grip as the pin of the nutcracker, and the base of the thumbs as the "aft". By clam shelling, that is by applying pressure at the base of the thumbs like a nutcracker, we in turn apply pressure, which in effect tightens your grip.

To me, it's not so much squeezing hard with each hand. We need to think of the grip as not two hands each squeezing hard, but as two hands forming a nutcracker or clamshell. We should be tightening the grip by thinking of the fingers as the pin of the nutcracker and applying pressure at the base of the thumbs. The nutcracker technique tightens the grip without adversely impacting the dexterity of your trigger finger.

I dont't think you can separate trigger press from grip - I think this is the key to understanding the phrase "isolating the trigger press".
    Last edited by gomerpyle; 02-16-2019 at 09:36 AM.

User Tag List