Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Consolidating Glocks

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

First, my needs/uses: at this point, primarily concealed carry and home defense & associated training. Concealment is very important to me, hence my interest in the 43X/48.
    I don't know what letter to suggest but I'd start my considerations with an acknowledgement that 43x/48 might end up offering zero advantages in concealment and/or capacity over what you already have.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I don’t see much that the G17 does over the G19x/G45 so I would personally chose two (2) of them and a Glock 26. I just don’t see that extra little thickness being a huge issue in concealment, and the flexibility in magazine choices is too much to overlook. If I carried the G26 everyday, I’d opt for the Gen 5 because of the improved finish. I’ve personally seen two (2j Glock Gen4’s rust and have to be sent back to Glock for a (poorly done) refinish.

I vote E.

Sell them all and buy a Wilson EDC X9. Keep that and your J-Frame.

You'll be way happier.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-06-2019 at 01:55 AM.

If you aren't IPSCing any more, ditch the 35, and keep the rest. Caliber consolidation will help money wise. You'll not come out ahead unless there is a ban scare, and unless you are in actual need of cash, you will take a bath. This is especially true in light of aftermarket parts, sights, or any additional money invested in each.

Just my $ point zero 2.

I’m curious, why the 43x AND the 48? What is one doing that the other isn’t?

Keep them all and just buy a G48. You already have a G43, so buying the G48 gets you a G43X also assuming the slides swap. You are too young to start getting rid of a lot of guns at large losses. Why get rid of perfectly good Gen 3's and Gen 4's in a large swap to Gen 5's? Sure the Gen 5's are reported to be more "accurate". But if you are shooting mid 90's on a 25 yd B8, how much more accuracy do you really need? Does improving to perhaps a 97 suddenly make the 94 or 95 average Gen 3/4 "inaccurate"? If you want to buy some Gen 5's, go ahead. But hang on to your other Glocks until you get to JBP55's (and mine) age or situation. Or wait for Gen 6.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I don't know what letter to suggest but I'd start my considerations with an acknowledgement that 43x/48 might end up offering zero advantages in concealment and/or capacity over what you already have.
    A good point. It might make the most sense to start by selling things I know I don't use and seeing what, if anything, I feel compelled to add.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I’m curious, why the 43x AND the 48? What is one doing that the other isn’t?
    Seems like a safe way to hedge my bets

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Glock consolidation took place in my safe a long time ago, leaving me with a jack-of-all trades Gen 3 G19; because I was not competing in any form that required a specific configuration, all the other sizes of Glock seemed kind of pointless (this was before the advent of the G43). I didn't really miss anything that I gave the boot, including a box full of mostly regrettable holsters.

I just had to try out a bunch of new-ish nines a couple weeks ago and came away with a case of the hots for a Gen 5 G19, a pistol which I need like I need another orifice. Then the G43X and G48 get announced and start raining on my consolidation parade. I'm resisting, but it is not going to be easy. Personally, I feel like a pair of G19's and a pair of G43's would probably be sufficient for me from this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
    ...and unless you are in actual need of cash, you will take a bath. This is especially true in light of aftermarket parts, sights, or any additional money invested in each.
    Right now that bath can be really cold. I recently sold a couple of very good, low-round-count firearms that I had no use for, and in doing so had the point that it is very much a buyer's market driven home... sideways. Without lubrication. I wish now that I'd had the sense to cosmoline 'em up and squirrel them away with a few boxes of good ammo, even if neither saw the light of day again until my estate sale.

gn

I’d wait and see how they do for a few months. Most of the growing pains will be worked out, there may be a clear winner between the 43X and 48, plus holsters will be available from people who make good ones.

As someone who has shot ~20,000 rounds through various Glock 26 generations, I will tell you that the Gen 5 is a step up from the others.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I’d wait and see how they do for a few months. Most of the growing pains will be worked out, there may be a clear winner between the 43X and 48, plus holsters will be available from people who make good ones.

As someone who has shot ~20,000 rounds through various Glock 26 generations, I will tell you that the Gen 5 is a step up from the others.
    You seem determined to throw as much cold water as possible on the 43X and 48, just let the boys have some fun with the new hotnesses. New pistols almost always are at their best before you have gotten them, and we want to enjoy that with these. In another few weeks, they will be just another small 9 we own, but for now these are life changing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List