Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Consolidating Glocks

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Consolidating Glocks

So, the soon to be released 43X and 48 happen to fit a lot of my handgun needs and I want them mighty bad. However, as it stands, I already have lots of Glocks and many of them don't get shot enough. For this reason, I'm hoping to get some hive-mind input on what to get rid of & potentially what to replace it with.

This also may be a good time to transition to Gen 5 pistols, but I'm still weighing the cost/benefit ratio here; particularly because I'd like this 'spring cleaning' to be financially neutral or, if possible, slightly profitable.

First, my needs/uses: at this point, primarily concealed carry and home defense & associated training. Concealment is very important to me, hence my interest in the 43X/48. Historically have competed in IDPA/USPSA but haven't much lately. Of what I own, I most often carry the 26, then the G4G19, and then the G43. Only sporadically carry the G4G17 in deep winter; mostly is loaded around the house.

With that in mind, here's what I have now:

1x Gen4 G35
    1x Gen4 G17
    1x Gen 3 G17 RTF (set up for IDPA/USPSA Prod)
    2x Gen 4 G19 (1 black, 1 gray frame)
    1x Gen 3 G19
    2x Gen 3 G26 (1 black, 1 OD frame)
    2x G43 (1 black, 1 FDE frame)

All of these pistols have quality fiber optic or tritium sights in good condition. Most have gadgets and all are well vetted and eject nicely (many with Apex/White Sounds ejection parts). Plenty of mags for all 9mms; ~7-8 mags for the G35. The only gun I'd like to hold on to for semi-irrational reasons is the G3G19, as I bought it from a good friend to use as my first carry pistol and is very well-vetted at 10k rounds or so.

With this in mind, what should I ditch, and what should I keep? I think at bare minimum I want 2x G19s and a duplicate pair of one of the 'subcompacts' (26, 43s, 48, 43X). Here's a couple options I've considered:

A. Most conservative - sell most everything, buy a duplicate for the Gen 3 I am fond of. Would probably make some money.

1X Gen 3 G17RTF (previously owned)
    2x Gen 3 G19 (1x previously owned + 1x duplicate purchase)
    2x Gen 3 G26 (previously owned)

B. Most progressive but still fiscally conservative - sell all of my older guns, buy into Nu Glock. Ditch the 43 as I have a J frame for around the house pocket carry, otherwise carry beltline only. May make a little money.

2x Gen 5 G19
    1x legacy gen 3 (or get over myself and sell it, too)
    1x G48
    1x G43X

C. Treat yo'self - get cool new stuff, buy/sell just enough to try and break even. Not much actual consolidation...

1x Glock 45
    2x Gen 5 G19 (MOS or other model w/o the half moon cut)
    1x Gen 3 G19 (previously owned)
    2x Gen 5 G26
    1x G43X
    1x G48
    1x G43 (previously owned)

D. Do nothing

E. Other

Your thoughts?

Site Supporter
    On option B why both a 43X and 48 instead of two of the same model?

Unfortunately, based on what I am seeing at the LGS, pre Gen 5 Glock pistols have nosedived in value.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Unfortunately, based on what I am seeing at the LGS, pre Gen 5 Glock pistols have nosedived in value.
    That was my expectation and will certainly factor heavily in whatever decision I arrive at.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    On option B why both a 43X and 48 instead of two of the same model?
    Seems to fairly split the difference. I am thinking out loud - absolutely nothing is set in stone ("Do nothing" is my default option).

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That is good news. Well, from a certain point of view.

Site Supporter
    I would say B or possibly E (B with 2x Gen 5 G26 instead of the 43X & 48) depending on how the new pistols handle compared to the G26.

I vote B. I’m seeing a significant performance increase with the Gen 5.

On the selling front, I sold a Gen 4 G17 that I returned to stock for $425 locally in a day or two.

Gray frames are bringing extra money locally as well.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

B and don’t look back.

I had a similar group of Gen 4 Glocks and sold all of them when the Gen 5 models came out.
    Purchased all new Gen 5 Glocks and never looked back.
    Will pick up my G48 on 01/22/19.

B.
    Last edited by JBP55; 01-05-2019 at 09:14 PM.

User Tag List