Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about "Production"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I am in a pretty small pond here, but I keep hearing and reading the experienced shooters telling the new shooters to load up their glock* magazines and shoot Limited Minor instead of Production. That way they will be able to focus on other things besides reload planning.
    That's what I initially did, although for me it was because:tactical and I thought I was practicing for a gunfight. Once I got over that fantasy and also started to understand the scoring, Production became more interesting to me.

it sounds from this thread though like the gun hipsters may be on to bigger and better things now that Production has become well populated and competitive. The folks that are currently chasing a small pond win in CO and PCC will have to eventually find something new.

Eventually I predict there will be a resurgence of single stack when people realize there's relatively few shooters there, many are older, and it's easier to get a win.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    That's what I initially did, although for me it was because:tactical and I thought I was practicing for a gunfight. Once I got over that fantasy and also started to understand the scoring, Production became more interesting to me.

it sounds from this thread though like the gun hipsters may be on to bigger and better things now that Production has become well populated and competitive. The folks that are currently chasing a small pond win in CO and PCC will have to eventually find something new.

Eventually I predict there will be a resurgence of single stack when people realize there's relatively few shooters there, many are older, and it's easier to get a win.
    ^^^Boom!

You're not wrong. Although the two Production M's at my club that are now shooting Lim and Open are in search of further skill-development. It's hard to argue that those divisions are a soft win. I'm still fighting it out for match wins with a Production GM and a M (GM in Open), so there's a bit of competition left here.

But at the Sectionals, Areas, and Nats, there's plenty of competition and always will be.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

The other thing to bear in mind is that people like doing things that reward them, so the people who started during the big production boom 5-7 years ago have now probably reached their level cap in Production unless they want to invest SERIOUS time and effort to start getting those 0.5% gains. So jumping into another division gives them that quick fix of "oh yeah this is fun and new."

So... What the OP's question again?

Here's my answer: just shut up and load up your glock and enjoy shooting.

Les is a wise man. It's still 100% possible to shoot production with a stock handgun and place fine (AKA win majors since "fine" is relative). Outside of new sights my VP9 is factory and will easily net me GM if I don't shoot like shit.

There is a huge popular belief in shooting that gear significantly affects skill, and it's fucking obnoxious that that belief is still around. But it'll continue being around forever since 95% of USPSA shooters are just into it because "guns are cool" instead of "practicing and being competent is cool" and that epiphany will just never have a chance to pop in their minds.

Load up and fuggin shoot and don't worry about it is the best advice ever.
    Last edited by Peally; 01-08-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

BTW - if you want to see a Production shooter shred with a stock glock (I think he just still uses the stock sights...), check out Eric Kamps...

http://instagram.com/p/BsRkygjnmuG/

He's "ok"...

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

The reality is quite opposite. Production is what is becoming less populated and competitive. Unfortunately....
    Open and CO are increasingly more and more popular. At least locally.

November match I shot (no state mag restrictions):

Production 28
    Limited 28
    Open 22
    Carry Optics 14
    PCC 9
    Single Stack 6
    L10 3
    Revolver 3

A smaller match I shot in December in 10 round state
    Production 15
    CO 13
    Open 12
    L10 11
    Limited 10
    Single Stack 5
    PCC 3
    Revolver 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    November match I shot (no state mag restrictions):

Production 28
    Limited 28
    Open 22
    Carry Optics 14
    PCC 9
    Single Stack 6
    L10 3
    Revolver 3

A smaller match I shot in December in 10 round state
    Production 15
    CO 13
    Open 12
    L10 11
    Limited 10
    Single Stack 5
    PCC 3
    Revolver 2
    Well, looks like in your area it is different. Good!

What is going on at local level shooting events of USPSA and IDPA is fairly meaninglessness in the grand scheme of things for that organization. You can gauge your skill against certain local performers and such but you will have no idea where your real competitive level is until you hit up a stacked regional or go to Nationals. Measurement of consistency and well rounded shooting ability rarely happens at the local or state level. Lots of people win locals and then get crushed at major events in a deep field of competition.

User Tag List