Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about "Production"

Question about "Production"

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The shooting on the move part is what I see as the biggest difference between 10 and 140mm and completely changes the game for me. Ten means shoot and reload as you move, where 140mm means never stop moving.

Fifteen is weak sauce, as it mostly just gives you extra make up shots but the ability to shoot multiple arrays without reloading. We have frequent 40+ round stages in AZ, and ten rounds is tedious for that kind of shooting.
    I know AZ folks like to play by their own rules [emoji3]... but

1.2.1.3 Long Courses–In Level III or higher matches must not require more than 32 rounds to complete.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-06-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    1.2.1.3 Long Courses–In Level III or higher matches must not require more than 32 rounds to complete.
    I shoot a match almost every weekend, and at most a handful of level three matches a year. In AZ, high round count matches are the norm at the clubs I shoot at.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I know AZ folks like to play by their own rules [emoji3]... but

The VAST majority of matches are Level I, and the majority of non-Level I matches are Level II, so that rule almost might as well not exist outside of things like Nationals.

You guys are a bunch of hosers [emoji6]

I don't think shooting on the move has anything to do with how many rounds the course of fire is.
    Regarding Major vs Minor scoring. The points matter under major scoring as well. You compete against the shooters who shoot major. I keep hearing that Cs don't matter under major scoring. That's wrong. You do have to be faster shooting major though, which is good.

I don't think 15 vs 10 round mags makes that huge a difference in strategy. But 20-30+ rounds vs. 10 changes the game in a big way because the time penalty for a miss is much lower. Consider how we approach a 15yd mini popper:
    Admittedly a lot of it depends on stage design, but overall I think it makes more of a difference than you may imagine. First off, even though the spirit of the sport is suppose to be "8 round neutral", I think many have it in their head that it's suppose to be "10 round neutral". Then there are other stage designers that don't care and will force 12 rounds from a single position.

Believe it or not, I have had first hand experience with this very scenario. A few years back, USPSA implemented a rule change that matches had to abide by state magazine capacity laws. From that time up until 2018, I essentially had a choice between Limited 10 and Limited 15 (regular limited, but capacity restricted based on state law). For the NJ matches, I have done both the L10 and L15 game. At the matches I attended, that 5 rounds made more of a difference than you might imagine. Of course, things vary greatly depending on location, but YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Regarding Major vs Minor scoring. The points matter under major scoring as well. You compete against the shooters who shoot major. I keep hearing that Cs don't matter under major scoring. That's wrong.
    It's a bit of hyperbole, but it's not completely wrong. In Limited, there is frequently a mix of shooters running both major and minor. Major shooters can have twice as many C hits for the same score as minor shooters, so they can afford to be sloppier, which often translates to faster. It's definitely a significant advantage.

Magazine capacity isn't that big a deal.
    When we practice something, it's helpful to isolate it and focus on it. Excluding reloads helps you to think about the flow movement through the stage. So the magazine capacity is kind of important

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    It's a bit of hyperbole, but it's not completely wrong. In Limited, there is frequently a mix of shooters running both major and minor. Major shooters can have twice as many C hits for the same score as minor shooters, so they can afford to be sloppier, which often translates to faster. It's definitely a significant advantage.
    Yes, when you compare minor and major shooting within one division. The thing is except very few, people shooting minor in limited are not competitive to begin with.

All this shows what an awesome game USPSA is. Hit factor scoring makes it that way.

User Tag List