Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about "Production"

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

You don't want to be frustrated just starting out. It depends on how your matches are set up. If you're likely to see 25+ yd mini poppers and the like, I'd recommend a gun you can shoot confidently. If that's a G19, good on you. But, I've seen quite a few very frustrated U and D class shooters trying to make their compacts work for Production. Of course, a lot of that is skill, but bigger guns are easier to shoot well.
    I've thought about buying a G17. But I'm a size M guy, so a Glock 19 is like a "full size" gun to me, compared to guys with bigger hands. I don't feel like the 19 is holding me back from moving out of D class, to be honest. I'm more worried about getting A's faster. I know my gun will shoot a 1" square at 7 yards if I do my job.

I will say this year is the first year I'm tinkering with it. Especially since I learned how easy it is to detail strip a Glock, so taking the gun apart and putting it back together is fairly straightforward. So much so, that you start to think, well, what if I changed just this one part.... That's probably how I ended up buying OEM extended mag release, and a 4.5 lb striker spring, and an Overwatch Flat Face Trigger is on the way to me as well. My G19.5 was $425 using a GSSF coupon, and the bits and pieces are maybe $150 or so.

But it's fun and if I perceive some value in it, why not.

But spending mucho dollars on a gun over $1k, for me to shoot Production? That would be nuts.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-05-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    bigger guns are easier to shoot well.
    No argument there, but if all a person has is a G26 or equivalent and they can't afford (or are unwilling) to buy a bigger gun right away, they shouldn't let that stop them from getting into the sport.

About decocking a CZ with your finger: it's not a big deal. Just get someone to show you how to do it right (stick index finger with pad toward hammer in between hammer and firing pin, rotate finger to ease hammer down). I've done it and seen it done 1000's of times and have never seen an ND.

A decocker adds complexity where it is not needed. I would never use one for competition.
    I've never seen an ND having watched a lot of people decock a CZ manually either, but that doesn't make it impossible, and in my view, human error is more likely than mechanical failure, so I guess I'll have to agree to disagree with you on this point.

A Shadow 2 or a Tanfo Stock 2 is definitely not required to do well in Production. I’ve got my own reasons for switching from Glock to CZ, but it’s definitely not because I shoot them better. In fact, I’ll be doing the Production thing for a little while with a P-09 or two. $475 a piece, install some Dawson sights each, and maybe some skateboard tape grips and I’m good to go. 9mm is as cheap as ever right now.

If you want to shoot .40 or .45 in Production, no one is stopping you, but you’re still relegated to minor scoring. If you want to shoot a box stock G17, go nuts. If you want to shoot a box stock Hi-Point, go nuts. But at the end of the day, it is a game, and most people typically want to make things as optimal as possible for them because it is a game. In Production that typically means sights of your choice, a trigger job, maybe tweak a couple springs, and making the thing a bit grippier to hold on to. Hardly super gamey, hardly all that expensive, and quite a far cry from a full blown custom 2011 with $75 magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I understand there may be sticker shock for a $1000+ production pistol, realize that these guys at the top are shooting over 10,000 rounds a year in most cases. The initial investment in a $1000 comp gun is nothing relative to the ammo, match fees, range fees, and travel expenses.

Of course plenty of guys are still competitive with basic G34s.

Any new shooter that shows up at a first match, or their 10th match, or 20th, that thinks the problem is their Glock 19 is wrong.

I continue to see an ever fewer number of Production shooters at the matches I attend. Same for single stack. Revolver is now almost a curiosity at USPSA.

The new divisions, PCC and Carry Optics, are increasingly popular, and the game has become 140mm magazines or longer in terms of the flow of stages. Most of my Production shooting friends are now shooting CO or Limited, or in the process of transitioning that way.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Some random responses, too lazy to quote.

1. Production is very popular in my area, usually 1rst or second most populated division.

2. Use of Glocks have dropped significantly in the past 5 years. Many CZs and Tanfos at out local matches.

3. Regarding other calibers, I’ve probably run more .40 minor than 9mm through my polymer production guns (Glock, XD, and M&P). Properly loaded, I find the recoil softer and the round more accurate than their 9mm counterparts. Also not long ago, NJ was a 15 round state, so using a .40 meant using normal mags versus neutered mags.

4. Also over the past 5 or so years, I’ve seen the matches get much more accuracy intensive. This is where I feel I get the most out of the Shadow 2. For me, it’s easier to clear a plate rack at 20+ yards with a Shadow 2 than a Glock 34 (especially pre-Gen 5).

5. Conversations on line has shown that your match experience can vary greatly depending on where you’re located.

6. YMMV.

A couple of questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    2. Use of Glocks have dropped significantly in the past 5 years. Many CZs and Tanfos at out local matches.
    What's driving that? Are they seeking and realizing a performance change, or are they following the herd?

4. Also over the past 5 or so years, I’ve seen the matches get much more accuracy intensive. This is where I feel I get the most out of the Shadow 2. For me, it’s easier to clear a plate rack at 20+ yards with a Shadow 2 than a Glock 34 (especially pre-Gen 5).
    Why do you think this is?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

In my travels, there are two main groups of Production shooters. New shooters and Stoeger fan boys mostly with their mags bullets out.

Now that Cheby has gone Limited, all we need is Ben to go full time Limited and Production will be relegated to IDPA types.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    A couple of questions...

What's driving that? Are they seeking and realizing a performance change, or are they following the herd?

Why do you think this is?
    Heavier guns mitigate recoil better. After the first DA pull, triggers are near 1911 quality. CZs also are inherently much more accurate than Glocks, at least prior to Gen 5s.

People are quick to say, well shooter X with a Glock can beat you with your CZ. The question should be, can you with a CZ beat you with a Glock. When I got my Shadow 2, I was originally going to sell it. I didn’t like the way it felt in my hand. The curiosity in me said I had to shoot at least one match with it before I sold it. After shooting said match, not only did I keep it, I bought a second one.

As for matches becoming more accurate, many match directors go to nationals, and try to emulate what they see there.

User Tag List