Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about "Production"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I am one of those older shooters, and if you get your jollies by beating me, have at it. I have lost a lot of speed and some accuracy over the past 5-10 years and am not a real challenge to the young whippersnappers. But I recently bought a 2011 so you can't run to single stack to do it.
    PCC if you are interested.

One of the "old" guys who showed me the ins and outs of this game when I got into it 7 years ago is older now with bad knees and doesn't move so well. Last year he got into PCC and to say I am winded after a match trying (and often failing) to keep up with him is an understatement.

@cheby (shooting Limited) and I (shooting Production) squadded together at a local match. It was a fun day, and we both took match wins. Here's the division breakdown:

CO 18
    Lim 10
    L10 2
    Open 15
    PCC 9
    Prod 18
    Revo 2
    SS 8
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-12-2019 at 10:12 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @cheby (shooting Limited) and I (shooting Production) squadded together at a local match. It was a fun day, and we both took match wins. Here's the division breakdown:

CO 18
    Lim 10
    L10 2
    Open 15
    PCC 9
    Prod 18
    Revo 2
    SS 8
    My Thursday night match was:

CO 4
    Lim 20
    Open 5
    Prod 4
    SS 6

This was unusual - usually there's more like 10 or 12 Prod shooters, but still, it does seem to be on the decline - it used to be that Prod & Lim had roughly the same numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

CO 18
    Lim 10
    L10 2
    Open 15
    PCC 9
    Prod 18
    Revo 2
    SS 8
    Yeah. It was a fun match. Surprisingly there were several new shooters shooting production. Last Saturday I shot a match where there were 9 open shooters, 11 limited, 3 SS, and 2(!) Production shooters. Go figure...

At a local match, because the divisions are generally thin, I think in terms of high overall, first pistol or my percentage of high overall. Looks like CO has really taken off in your area, probably helps having Leupold nearby where you can expedite DP Pro repairs.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I made Master last year with a bone stock G17 Gen 5 (yes, even the sights) in Production Div. I remain convinced that as long as you use a gun from a reputable manufacturer, the specific type of gun and features simply does not matter if you put in the work. Use what you like for whatever reasons you like it.

With regard to the divisions in my area, Production and Standard are where most of the heat is.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I just shot the Miami Open down here in SoFla, which is a pretty good match and attracts some of the travelling road show shooters. Here's the breakdown:

Open

Limited

Limited 10

Production

Revolver

Single Stack

Carry Optics

PCC

PCC, Open, Limited, and CO make up the majority of the shooters in the match, which I would say means that people aren't going there to get "easy wins" because in a deeper division you're far more likely to get junked by someone who is squared away. That theory bears out in the results, since Open had Chris Tilly, CO had Max Michel, and PCC had two GMs in it (who I'm not familiar with, but still). Production on the other hand only had one GM, who ran away with the whole match.

Looking at the scores, if I had showed up in Production instead of carry optics I would have a legit shot at making the top 3, instead of getting junked into 13th place in a much deeper division.

There is a thread going on on Brian Enos mentioning some of the issues with Production participation.
    Chuck Anderson, who is a multiple divisions GM and used to be one the top Production shooters back in the days posted this:

" I took a couple years off. I was really surprised at the local decline of Production. Seems like most swapped to CO or PCC. Limited was pretty light a few years ago but solid again. Stuff changes. Glock succeeded for a long time because it was cheap and reliable. CZ had issues before Angus started fixing them and EAA was worlds worst importer. Most of that has sorted itself out".

One of the main attractions of Production was the cheap ammo and gear. Also the timmie factor was huge. Looks like, Carry Optic is where the timmies go these days.

Locally, however, Open is the most competitive and strong division now here... I guess I am still beating the dead horse..

At my two matches this weekend, Saturday’s match didn’t have a single Production shooter, and high Production on Sunday was equivalent to a participation trophy. In AZ lately, Production is the new Limited 10 for trophy potential.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@cheby, there’s no dead horse to beat, dude. Local matches are for training, fun, self image growth, and recruiting new USPSA shooters. I’m a few % behind Chuck and that’s all the competition I need in local Production.

Major matches will continue to have plenty of depth in the divisions we care about.

Who knows, if gun bans pass we may all be shooting Revo.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List