Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Five rounds.....................

When I was stationed in AZ in the Army, somehow I ended up in possession of an actual US Navy issued Springfield rolling block carbine in .50-70. Condition was rough (not unexpected since it had been kicking around for 100+ years), but the bore was crisp and clean. It took me the better part of three months (pre Internet) to find an adequate stock of .50-70 brass, then I got to loading, VERY carefully.

When I dropped the hammer on my first round, I was terrified that either (a) the rifle would explode, or (b) it would tear my shoulder off (I had previously and BRIEFLY owned a Ruger #1 in .45-70 that I shot with modern "full house" smokeless powder loads, and was expecting the worst). After that first round, I was IN LOVE - so much smoke, so much fun, not much kick at all, even from a stumpy carbine. I swear it was like shooting an M203 - you could just about see the rounds going downrange, and when they hit the back stop, the WHUMP was fantastic!

That little thumper was really one of my favorite rifles of all time - and, lest you think it was strictly for fun, I used it successfully to decrease the coyote population on the ranch where I lived by a half dozen or so over the next several months.

The point of this LONG story is DO EEEET on the Sharps. Especially if you get a crazy long "Quigley" style rifle, and stick to .45-70 (for brass availability and shoulder sanity), it should be plenty fun to shoot...

Site Supporter
    Since more pictures were requested, this is my meager collection of USFA 45 Colts, all with black powder frames:

Name:  DSC00153.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  37.2 KB

The 7.5" is their "Gunslinger" model. I hate the name but really like the look of the gun.

The 5.5" is a gun that never was, an Artillery Model with all matching numbers and no arsenal refinish.

The 4.75" is a Pre-War model. As good as USFA could make it.

And all of these guns are late production, made of all USA sourced parts. No Uberti parts are present. (smile)

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 01-13-2019 at 10:00 PM.

User Tag List