Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Incoming Gun Control Attempts for 2019...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Well, this is damn timely. I wonder if Liptak reads P-F?

Totally apropos to the discussion:

https://www.breachbangclear.com/sick...hen-read-this/

"This was written by NRA Board Member Duane Liptak. It’s a long read, but if you’re in the ranks of those who are pro-gun but anti-NRA, it’s worth the read."
    He makes some good points and I'm glad he is fighting the fight.

But he doesn't address the main frustration I have with the NRA, which is that they need to do more to reach new generations of Americans with their message somehow. It's a tough thing to do in today's climate considering what young people are constantly bombarded with in the schools and universities, but they need to figure it out.

I plan to keep supporting the NRA for the reasons mentioned in the article.

Site Supporter
    He describes the legislative problems well but avoids the issue of their overall political strategy and messaging. Really business as usual. Do the same old and hope for the best.

Site Supporter
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/p...lQupLun71lxS1A

Pennsylvania Governor Calls for Total Ban on all Semi-Automatic Weapons

From the above referenced article:

Though Wolf incorporates all semi-automatic firearms in his answer to Richert’s question (the Squirrel Hill murderer used handguns and a rifle), he walked back his stance later that day in a tweet that only mentioned “semi-automatic rifles.”

The governor doesn’t want to take away anyone’s guns, of course. Later in the segment, Richert commented, “People from one side or the other go to the complete extreme – you’re trying to take away my weapons, and that’s not the case.”

“No,” Wolf agreed.

And yet, the head of Pennsylvania’s executive branch hopes the state legislature will implement restrictions on gun ownership similar to those proposed by Pittsburgh’s city council, which include a ban on some semi-automatic rifles.
    Last edited by blues; 01-14-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter

Back in the battle for hearts and minds...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tam...template%3Damp

Firearm names and images have been removed from Monster Truck rallies, guns are becoming the new cigarettes.

Site Supporter
    https://www.auburn-reporter.com/news...Nk8Nl1_h6adwfg

Fortunato: firearms test should be required for lawmaker who want to draft gun legislation

State Sen. Phil Fortunato, R-Auburn, has introduced legislation in advance of the 2019 legislative session that would require lawmakers who draft gun legislation to be trained and pass a test.

“We have legislators drafting bills who have no idea how firearms work or any sense of firearm nomenclature,” Fortunato said. “When decision makers want to restrict someone’s constitutional rights, they shouldn’t go off half-cocked.

Fortunato’s bill would require legislators who want to draft legislation to pass the state’s criminal justice firearms training for each firearm they wish to regulate. In addition to classroom and live-fire requirements, legislators would also need to pass range safety officer training, and be able to pass a knowledge test for calibers and gauges of firearms.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-15-2019 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Fortunato: firearms test should be required for lawmaker who want to draft gun legislation
    That is hilariously awesome, but it'll never pass - legislators with a D by their name will see it as an infringement of their 1st amendment rights. Legislation is quite obviously speech, right? 1st amendment doesn't say anything about having to know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That is hilariously awesome, but it'll never pass - legislators with a D by their name will see it as an infringement of their 1st amendment rights. Legislation is quite obviously speech, right? 1st amendment doesn't say anything about having to know what you're talking about.
    Call it the “Common Sense Legislation Reform”. Their heads would explode. I support the idea and it should be expanded beyond firearms.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    Essay Questions:

1. What is the thing that goes up and its influence on crime rates?

2. Define common usage in reference to various firearms and Constitutional issues?

3. Glock vs 1911, 45 vs 9

As a Virginian I've been tracking Governors Northam's proposed gun control package. Unfortunately my state legislator's seat recently went from solid R to D. I wanted to contact my new legislator to make my feelings on the subject known.

I called his office today and he picked up the phone. I explained that I was a constituent of his and wanted to know his position on the forthcoming gun control bills. He pleasantly surprised me by explaining that felt they were for the most part ridiculous and did not plan on supporting them. He went into some brief details on his past military service, and explained that he understood firearms and did not feel these gun control efforts did anything other than target law-abiding citizens.

These days, I basically expect 100% partisanship so it was incredibly refreshing to hear someone from the opposite side of the aisle express a sensible appreciation of the 2nd amendment. We didn't 100% see eye-to-eye but it was still comforting to hear. I will be monitoring his vote closely.

Anyway, it's imperative to keep the pressure up. Demand legislators explain to you their anti-2A stance. Take someone new to the range – demystifying shooting and guns (and showing how fun they can be) is probably one of the best ways to get someone on a pro-freedom path. Save the lectures and arguments for your family gatherings!
    Last edited by jc000; 01-15-2019 at 08:13 PM.

User Tag List