Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where have you been all of my (adult) life?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    It's just that those who can "cook" may have forgotten that there are those of us who are just getting started.
    If those recipes don't sound yummy, obviously, find something that strikes your fancy. But don't let the wall of text on the blog intimidate you: that's just something recipe bloggers do, and it annoys the hell out of me. One of the reasons I prefer cookbooks over blogs is because it cuts through all that nonsense.

Most of her stuff is really easy, which is good for me, because I know fuck all about cooking. Take Ropa Vieja for instance, which is something we make about once a week.

You'll need cumin, salt, smoked paprika, and chili powder. We substitute ground beef for chuck steak, and garlic powder for garlic, because I'm too lazy to cut meat or mince garlic.

Instructions: set the instant pot to saute, and cook the ground beef enough until it breaks apart. Dice an onion and cut up some peppers. Throw the spices, canned tomatoes, and the peppers and onions in the pot. Cook on high for 30 minutes, natural release for 10 minutes, then quick release.

That's it. Her post looks like required reading in culinary school, but once you get to the actual instructions, it's pretty simple. The way she presents it in her cookbook is so much cleaner than her blog that I wasn't even sure it was the same dish. But... recipe blogger.

At any rate, the page you found looks neat. The SO and I have been thumbing through it for about an hour. We practically live out of our instant pot and are considering buying a second one, so we can make sides while the entree is cooking.

I'm sure y'all will end up loving yours.

Also, xantham gum is in the baking aisle. It's just a powder that thickens things. I had no idea what it was either until the SO haughtily enlightened me.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I didn’t know about the self sterilization bit, very cool.
    #RESIST

Where have you been all of my (adult) life?

Mrs. is up in NC visiting the grandkids, so it’s me and the dog this week.

Here is what is (hopefully) cooking in the Instant Pot:

1 x Chicken Breast
    Couple carrots, sliced
    1/2 M onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, sliced
    1/2 t paprika
    1/2 t Oregano
    1 T Avocado oil
    1 c rice
    2 c low sodium Chicken Broth
    2 small bell peppers, chopped
    12 oz Yuengling

Set Instant pot on ‘Saute’. Added oil, then sliced garlic and onions into pot for five min, adding spices. Dumped in carrots, peppers, rice, water, chicken, and salt n’ pepper.

Cover, set to 10 min pressure cook.

I’m drinking the beer, contemplating whether this will work or not. I have no idea.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-23-2019 at 03:48 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Dammit!

I was thinking about picking up the IP, but figured I'd read the whole thread to see what wisdom was in it (suggestions for other better products, for example) before buying. It was $80 at Amazon two days ago, now $100. Lame, Amazon!
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Just bought it from Kohl's for $85. Will pick it up at the store I drive past on my way home tonight.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I chose the Chard/Carey Smart Cooker on the recommendation of The Survival Podcast. Along with slow cooker, pressure cooker steaming and saute (brown) functions, it will also water bath and pressure can.

It's a neat feature if you're into that kind of thing.

If you're into the Asian/Indian recipes, I really have been enjoying the Paint the Kitchen Red blog. The Instant Pot Thai Red Curry/ is particularly good.
    Last edited by David S.; 07-13-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    David S.

User Tag List